Life in Finland

I would like to hear your experiences living in Finland. I'm planning to move there and don't speak the language. Thanks.
Ilmianna
Jaa

43 Vastausta

stiig om buurd ,wringel.fine country in deed.
Ilmianna
Jaa
the place to find out about life in Finland. I'm sure You can find more info from the books. I myself have moved away from Finland 37 years ago and do not have any idea whats going on there. 2007 I am planning to visit for a month. I hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
3 VASTAUSTA:
You won't be pleasently surprised. Finnland is nowadays the promised land for the rich, white and the healthy. Please stay where ever you are, and charice the good times and memories in Finnland.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
multicultural kirjoitti:
You won't be pleasently surprised. Finnland is nowadays the promised land for the rich, white and the healthy. Please stay where ever you are, and charice the good times and memories in Finnland.
I just realized I'd spelled 'Finnland' instead of 'Finland'. Hope you accept my apologizes.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
multicultural kirjoitti:
I just realized I'd spelled 'Finnland' instead of 'Finland'. Hope you accept my apologizes.
"Finnland" is common mistake as its the German for Finland. And you see it every where.

But they say Finland has changed a lot recent years. Sad thing is that the worst sides of Anglo-American culture are adopted most easily. People used to be modest and courteous esp. in conversation. Today shocking and abusing is used by young folks to get attention at any prise. That is due to the right wing education policies and (neo)liberalistic ideology of government and media.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Please feel like you are at home.You will found out that that we we´ll make your being here as comfortable as we can. Once again WELCOME TO FINLAND
Ilmianna
Jaa
on this website?

http://www.finlandforum.org/bb/index.php

As a Finn I'm probably not qualified to answer this enquiry (I'm one of THEM..) Hope you'll like it here.
Ilmianna
Jaa
it is a dumb idea, these people are pretty fucked up in their heads. Oh well, atleast I get a lot of pussy
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
3 VASTAUSTA:
about this kind of behaviour. I get the feeling that this 'Travis' is a foreigner and as you can see, the only one that's stupid over here...
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
A little bit of respection or go to your own "paradise land" asshole.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
Unfortunately travis is right. And about the pussy part, it is a well known and established fact.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Hey!

Where are you moving here? Are you going to study or work? Are you moving alone or with your family? I'd love to give you some more information and answer your questions as well as I possibly can :) You can mail me: popovitch14@hotmail.com
Ilmianna
Jaa
It depends on where about in Finland you are planning to move to. If it's Helsinki you don't have to worry as it's quite cosmopolitan. But I would advise you to stay away from Häme (especially Lahti and surroundings!) as it is not a good place to live. Not even worth a visit!
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
4 VASTAUSTA:
a swede
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
Helsinki is not cosmopolitan, I am so sorry.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
is not kirjoitti:
Helsinki is not cosmopolitan, I am so sorry.
it is!
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
just me kirjoitti:
it is!
No it ain't, only over one million ppl cities are cosmopolitans and we dont have that much yet. :)
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
1. Winter last's about 6 months in finland (unless your moving to south)so make sure you have something warm to wear.

2. When you visit in finnish home- take your shoes off before you enter. (weather is usually bad and people wont be happy if you walk around the house with muddy shoes...)

3. Don't try to wear a svimsuit in sauna. In sauna, everybody will be naked. Don't worry, nobody will look at you "that way" in sauna...

4. Do not try "small talk" to strangers unless they'r drunk. (Sober Finnish person thiks that your some kind of crazy or something, if you don't know them and start to talk about the weather or else...)

5. Don't get me wrong. Finnish people are very warm and nice. It just take some time before they let you close and let you know them.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
2 VASTAUSTA:
i would like to emphasise hint #5 in vebber's post above : "Finnish people are very warm and nice. It just takes some time before they let you close and let you know them."

That might be about the hardest lesson to learn in the beginning. You might get the feeling that we don't like you, but trust me, that is not the case.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
No, the truth is that finns are very anti-social and hard to get to know. Most are mentally ill or otherwise fucked up. Sad, but true.

A normal person is exotic here!

And to think that i have wasted ten years in here.

If you dont believe me, come here and see the ugly truth yourself. Finland is far from paradise.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Ilmianna
Jaa
I advise you to move to one of these largest cities we have: Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa or Turku (the best weather) or maybe to Tampere.

As someone already told (in a rougher way), it may be hard to find sophisticated company in Finland. And the list of 5 tips that somebody wrote earlier on this conversation were facts.

If you're a black person or nether a christian nor an atheist I wanna warn you: unfortunately many finns are rasists :( luckily not all. Even if you weren't, finns can be really rude. (Well, nice and helpfull too :))

About you not speakin English. If you speak English or Swedish, you'll be just fine.

Well, I've said few bad things about my dear home Finland, so I'll now give you 5 good things about it:

1. Good public services such as nursing and school system etc.

2. Beautiful summers, which have lately been really warm, and when I say warm I mean it.

3. Many unnecessary festival days like "vappu" or "juhannus", when boozing is the word of the day.

4. Finnish is a safe country.

5. In the end, Finland is a great place to live :D
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
1 VASTAUS:
first of all: hellooo, Finland is not that safe. Well, again, it depends where you go but be aware there is assholes everywhere. And second, no I don't think Finland is that great place to live in especially if you're foreign.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
than some of the rest of Finns. But even they may need some time to get to know you first. After a Finn decided he or she likes you, you'll be treated like a friend. We are rather simple in that way - we have close frineds and then there are the rest - strangers and enemies. Be patient. Learn a few words of Finnish, and your attempts wil be appreciated. It sounds so cute to hear a foreign accent, speaking Finnish!

Young people are more keen to talk with you, I suspect, and their English is usually better than the older folk's.

I hope you'll enjoy it here.
Ilmianna
Jaa
and waste your life. Finland is a semi-agrarian society and very hard to integrate in. Many foreigners get insane in Finland, they get shut out from the opportunities available and get marginalised.

Think 64000 times before you come to Finland!!!

Regards
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
4 VASTAUSTA:
I agree with you Mao.
I can`t wait to get out of this country. least once in a week I have to force myself to think..."don`t worry, just one more year in finland and then you can continue normal life wherever I will be living"
and I am not the only one who thinks that way. in our school there is about 30 foreigners and they all think the same way :S

I don`t know what is wrong with finns but they all seem to hate vit*n ulkomaalaisia (f*cking foreigners).
I have heard that phrase quite a lot :(

I believe that here are also normal people, but I have meet just few of them.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
kyren_est kirjoitti:
I agree with you Mao.
I can`t wait to get out of this country. least once in a week I have to force myself to think..."don`t worry, just one more year in finland and then you can continue normal life wherever I will be living"
and I am not the only one who thinks that way. in our school there is about 30 foreigners and they all think the same way :S

I don`t know what is wrong with finns but they all seem to hate vit*n ulkomaalaisia (f*cking foreigners).

Actually how you are treated depends what kind of company you keep. Tampere is pretty friendly place even for foreigners. My foreign friends like it here. I would actually suggest to stay out of the bigger places as in smaller town people tend to be friendlier.

I have never whitnessed a xenophobic insident in this town. Except once when an asian guy got pissed and kicked a guy in the head.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
............... kirjoitti:
Actually how you are treated depends what kind of company you keep. Tampere is pretty friendly place even for foreigners. My foreign friends like it here. I would actually suggest to stay out of the bigger places as in smaller town people tend to be friendlier.

I have never whitnessed a xenophobic insident in this town. Except once when an asian guy got pissed and kicked a guy in the head.
much good for nothings, everywhere playing their everlasting plying. Yes, Where are the workers, real workers - seem as the young peoples, and elders - too, just are looking for some easy and fast, not want anything else.
The leasiest country in world.
How pay that all?
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
kyren_est kirjoitti:
I agree with you Mao.

Buahahaha...
-- So you're an exchange student in finland? "then you can continue normal life.." You are young, inexperienced person who has credulous thougths about life abroad (out of Finland), i mean you blame finnish society because of your own personal frustrations? You are just frustrated because your expectations does not meet with the reality.
As I know many of european countries due I've lived in those countries, I know from my own experience Finland is a VERY good country world wide, I guess the best country in the world for me.. So what would I say to you: try to change your attitude and be more open-minded to Finns, also be more tolerant, I guess after all we Finns are very gentle and frendly people.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Finland sucks ass. If you want to kill yourslef while choking in penis then go ahead and move in this god forsaken land ROFL!
Ilmianna
Jaa

Tästä on poistettu viesti sääntöjen vastaisena.

Ilmianna
Jaa
Ilmianna
Jaa
I moved back to live here after being away nearly 30 years, and sorry to say, very disappointed, as have been used to live in a different cultural climate.
It has taken more than 2 years to integrate, and still going on ...

I would advise you to think twice, perhaps to take a visit first, and then to think whether you wish to live in a country like this or not.
the weather is harsh, no daylight during winter much to speak of, people very closed and odd in they own way, lots of drunken people everywhere, a phenomenon which I have not encountered anywhere in this scale. I live in Helsinki and am scared to move around.

Of course, the above is a statement which is a general picture. Smaller towns and countryside is absolutely beautiful, and the people different.
Helsinki is a small city, but people think it is a huge metropolitan city.
In my honest opinion the Finns are very very self centered, and some of them do not really know what is going on in a real big world. The news are not update on political issues, such as media broadcast in newspapers and internet.
One has to read elsewhere, to get to the bottom of an issue.
Surveillance cameras are everywhere, and honesty, one does not feel sort of free anywhere. Big brother is watching.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
2 VASTAUSTA:
I hate Finland and finnish people so much that I will go grazy soon. Please dont come to here, you will go grazy soon. If only somebody can help me.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
779 kirjoitti:
I hate Finland and finnish people so much that I will go grazy soon. Please dont come to here, you will go grazy soon. If only somebody can help me.
What's the matter, mate? Can I help? Tell me all about it. I'm in Australia at the moment, but coming to Finland shortly, returning to the land where my roots are, permanently, I hope. Are you a foreigner in Finland or someone who had the missfortune to be born there? Surely there are worse places to be, for instance Australia - far too hot and too many cockroaches. Zimbabwe, Afganistan, Libya, Sweden, ...
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Good luck to you, hot, if you are returning back to your roots! You will find many things have changed, and you might be very disappointed.
People drink too much, women show their cheap side, it is really sad, fights everywhere, not to talk about the climate.

Most of my friends have, nearly all of them, diabetes, they are depressed.
If you are white you are OK, any darker colour shade will not even give you a possibility to find a home to live in. Rasism flourished everywhere. The helth care sucks. Politians corrupt.

I cannot wait for a day when I can finally leave this country for a better one.

Welcome to the Paradise they advertise.
Ilmianna
Jaa
Finland would be absolutely amazing, with outstanding social system and preserved nature, except for the Finnish people. If you are from an english speaking country you may have some luck as many people may ridiculously idolize you and kiss your ass to an extend it feels awkwardly weird (but still flattering, in a slimy way). If you are from somewhere else, tough luck. Finnish people in their awkwardness and autism like social state are rude and stupid and their only social skill is the ability to tell you how great finnish school system is over an over again, endlessly until you die from boredom. They still don't invite you to anywhere though. Honestly - I tell you an example of how far their avoidance of leaving their tiny and pathetic comfort zone for other people goes - if their grandparents live in inhumanly conditions in elder people homes shitting blood in their diapers, instead of helping them a finn may just sign a petition - and now we are talking about the most compassionate type of a finn here. Most of them just continue their passive and boring life and won't take a risk of action of any kind in fier that it could result in something out of ordinary, like life. They would probably complain about injustice in these forums, but no way that someone would actually do anything for anyone else in real life. It's not a coincidence that the social system here is as good as it is - it has to be because people would just let each other die on the streets, really, even if it was their best friends or family. Too much of a social inconvenience to do anything. These people are inhumanly cold, self centered and terrible know-it-alls, not actually realizing a bit of what is going on elsewhere. This place suffers form a small village phenomenon, nation wide. If you come here don't try to be friends with finns, find some foreigners. It will take you years to get to a level where you get an invitation for a cup of coffee with a finnish person and then if you do they just talk about the school system anyway. On the other hand i would warmly welcome more foreigners here to invade the country just to get rid of this unsocial small minded population, so please feel welcome to widen the gene pool of these authority loving, small souled inbreds and hopefully in future there will born a nonpassive, friendly and non autistic finnish person to god forgotten, dark and penis shape piece of europe.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
1 VASTAUS:
You write well, Finnfucknoluck, but you, like every one of us, sees things through their own filter and speak about their observations with the limits of their ability to find the right words. You write well though. Some of the things you say hurt a bit. Being an asperger-like woman born here in Finland I feel you describing me and my social awkwardness. But having lived half of my life overseas and then having returned home I now am a mixture of aloness-loving Finn and a talkative human being who would love to talk with strangers and make friends with those who ring my bell (and vice versa). My Finnish neighbours would be good company, I like their sincerity and their simple Finnishness, whatever that means, but they don't want to talk about issues that interest me. I do not want to talk about something so banal that afterwards you can't even remember what was said. I'd like to exchange ideas and experiences and observations and thoughts.

I hated Finland. For a long time. That's why I left. Abroad I 'found myself', realised my finnishness, began to appreciate its good sides and ponder its weaknesses. I wonder why so many of us still are such believers of the fraudulent political system, our school system that standardises us and makes us simple. Why so many of us believe and at least obey any authority and forget that those in power should represent us, at least if we pretend living in a democracy. In Finland they call it populism if a politician tries to do something people want him to do. And populism is bad. It's nearly as bad as racism (not wanting free loaders and lazy users and beggars to come and live on our expense) or patriotism (loving one's country). Finland is not a country of high living standards. This has become a country of welfare, not well being. Walfare, because our jobs have been taken and we are not allowed to start our own businesses. If you do, like I was planning to, you'll soon find that tax office, private superannuation funds, insurance corporations are at your pockets even you haven't earned a cent.

So come, if you have something to give to the sociaty here. Don't come as a user. Don't come to use our free (is it still free, I'm not sure?) tertiary education and wonder why the payers (every tax paying citizen) aren't happy. Find a Finnish partner and make beautiful mix-race human beings (look at our new lovely Miss Finland), but don't come and rape our women. That's not so sophisticated, you know. Aggression is a problem of the aggressor. Hate is the hater's shortcoming. We are all people. Those who look at a different race or a different population with disgust, are only showing their own lack of love for humanity. They are exhibiting their own racism, their own narrow-mindedness. Don't you think so?
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Don't come to Finland if you value your individual happiness.

The country and its people can be summed up by the following "law of Jante":

The ten rules state:

1. You're not to think you are anything special.
2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
4. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are.
5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
8. You're not to laugh at us.
9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

"These ten principles or commandments are often claimed to form the "Jante's Shield" of the Scandinavian people.

In the book, the Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against the town's communal desire to preserve harmony, social stability and uniformity."

In other words, Finland in a nutshell. As a foreigner (especially if you are non-white), you will automatically be treated with hostility and suspicion. Finland is a very racist, xenophobic and paranoid country. Moving here was the biggest mistake of my life.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
2 VASTAUSTA:
Finland is very cold country and people are assholes. Hell on earth whole country. Finns drink way too much alcohol, everyday. When you walk down streets You can see drunks everywhere. Do not belive those stories how great Finland is, lies, all lies.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
Very very but very true. 8 years living here and all the above is genuinely true. Only those that tolerate these shit will be able to live long in here.
Kommentoi
Ilmianna
Jaa
+Lisää kommentti
Well to be honest i felt my well beign and physical health went downhill as soon as i came here.

People are cold profiteurs, full of themselves yet many have zero self confidence.

They do nothing for you unless they get paid. They are very jealous folk. Bad manners or no manners at all mostly. Girls whoring around..

Lots of bullying in schools.

Weather sucks, overall architecture is from soviet union. People are truly weird and seem to be scared of everything..

Everybody dresses down. Strange strange...

Education not that great to be honest. Nothing enticing here tbw.

Finland is strange and not worth all the bravado given by media for the brainwashed finnish masses. Nothing truly great or exeptional. Just kinda dying a slow agonizing death here that all folks...
Ilmianna
Jaa
Finlands capital is helsinki.

The name tells you everything you are to look foward to when you enter: hell.

Worst country in the world and they think that they are the best. Brainwash, brainwash..
Ilmianna
Jaa
Don't came to Finland. I am mean, unless if you want to be discriminated by all the selfish Finns. Here you will find company's that discriminate you when you apply for jobs or during the interview and internships position that pas nothing for your work. Some HR will even ask if you were arrested based on you nationality. Here you will be through, if lucky, in a cleaning job where you will be exploited. You will be mistreat and inequality treated. Here people look at you as you were inferior to them, me me me me and only me. You will always be a foreign"ulkomailinen" even if you have born here. Here you will be depressed with the weather and Finnish depressing sad behavior. Finland is for Finn, that what you will hear here. Drunk Finn will judge you for your dark hair and eyes. And you will find even more shit. Finns are snobby. But, hey!! Not all, you will find awesome Finns too. Just like we all have good people among the shit people that reside in our own home country. One more thing. Finland is not as great as they think and advertise. If you are welling to tolerate all this crap then yeah , life in Finland is great. Good lucky
Ilmianna
Jaa

Vastaa alkuperäiseen viestiin

Life in Finland

I would like to hear your experiences living in Finland. I'm planning to move there and don't speak the language. Thanks.

5000 merkkiä jäljellä

Peruuta