Life in Finland

Wrinkles

I would like to hear your experiences living in Finland. I'm planning to move there and don't speak the language. Thanks.

Vastaukset

Anonyymi (Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy)
    • baker ten

stiig om buurd ,wringel.fine country in deed.

• wgqryrqwyyryry

who is absurd. Thanks to the rich but the stupid gentlemen who dropped Tupo. Strong strikes are in the front, and the like has not been seen since 1956. But due to the simple pay, a general strike is no longer possible.

который абсурден. Спасибо богатым, но глупым господам, которые уронили Тупо. Сильные удары впереди и тому подобное не видели с 1956 года. Но из-за простой оплаты всеобщая забастовка больше невозможна.

https://keskustelu.suomi24.fi/t/15027517/tulossa-suuri-lakkosyksy-suomeen

• Anonyymi
        wgqryrqwyyryry kirjoitti:

who is absurd. Thanks to the rich but the stupid gentlemen who dropped Tupo. Strong strikes are in the front, and the like has not been seen since 1956. But due to the simple pay, a general strike is no longer possible.

который абсурден. Спасибо богатым, но глупым господам, которые уронили Тупо. Сильные удары впереди и тому подобное не видели с 1956 года. Но из-за простой оплаты всеобщая забастовка больше невозможна.

https://keskustelu.suomi24.fi/t/15027517/tulossa-suuri-lakkosyksy-suomeen

sorry to say finlnd is now a nazi state- same as UK 1077 or nazi-germany 1930's...

2 nazi-parties rule now Finland...

something like this:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-67CeuBFI

• Anonyymi
        Anonyymi kirjoitti:

sorry to say finlnd is now a nazi state- same as UK 1077 or nazi-germany 1930's...

2 nazi-parties rule now Finland...

something like this:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-67CeuBFI

UK 1977...

• Anonyymi
        Anonyymi kirjoitti:

UK 1977...

.. - ....
        part 2 and 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuauYi_2ec8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBTQXr4SWk

• this is hardly

the place to find out about life in Finland. I'm sure You can find more info from the books. I myself have moved away from Finland 37 years ago and do not have any idea whats going on there. 2007 I am planning to visit for a month. I hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• multicultural

You won't be pleasently surprised. Finnland is nowadays the promised land for the rich, white and the healthy. Please stay where ever you are, and charice the good times and memories in Finnland.

• multicultural
        multicultural kirjoitti:

You won't be pleasently surprised. Finnland is nowadays the promised land for the rich, white and the healthy. Please stay where ever you are, and charice the good times and memories in Finnland.

I just realized I'd spelled 'Finnland' instead of 'Finland'. Hope you accept my apologizes.

• Sabine M.
        multicultural kirjoitti:

I just realized I'd spelled 'Finnland' instead of 'Finland'. Hope you accept my apologizes.

"Finnland" is common mistake as its the German for Finland. And you see it every where.

But they say Finland has changed a lot recent years. Sad thing is that the worst sides of Anglo-American culture are adopted most easily. People used to be modest and courteous esp. in conversation. Today shocking and abusing is used by young folks to get attention at any prise. That is due to the right wing education policies and (neo)liberalistic ideology of government and media.

• Finn

Please feel like you are at home.You will found out that that we we´ll make your being here as comfortable as we can. Once again WELCOME TO FINLAND

• Brownie898
    • Travis.

it is a dumb idea, these people are pretty fucked up in their heads. Oh well, atleast I get a lot of pussy

• very sorry

about this kind of behaviour. I get the feeling that this 'Travis' is a foreigner and as you can see, the only one that's stupid over here...

• ---------

A little bit of respection or go to your own "paradise land" asshole.

• Travisspaksthetruth

Unfortunately travis is right. And about the pussy part, it is a well known and established fact.

• Anonyymi

Oh well, tell me how much they charged you for the night? That's right - zero!

There is a difference between a woman and a prostitute, if you can't see it then why are you still here?

Had you focused even one ounce on the Finnish culture, you would have noticed that you failed the test each time you had a one night stand. Women test men to see what they are like, if they are serious dating material or not. You are the one who loses, not them.

But hey, hopefully you have moved to Estonia. There women at least make you pay for each night. All over Europe you can find prostitutes walking on the streets - except in Finland.

We don't need ungrateful people coming here and bashing us. Leave!!!

• miu

Hey!

Where are you moving here? Are you going to study or work? Are you moving alone or with your family? I'd love to give you some more information and answer your questions as well as I possibly can :) You can mail me: [email protected]

• just me

It depends on where about in Finland you are planning to move to. If it's Helsinki you don't have to worry as it's quite cosmopolitan. But I would advise you to stay away from Häme (especially Lahti and surroundings!) as it is not a good place to live. Not even worth a visit!

• you are

a swede

• is not

Helsinki is not cosmopolitan, I am so sorry.

• just me
        is not kirjoitti:

Helsinki is not cosmopolitan, I am so sorry.

it is!

• luluO
        just me kirjoitti:

it is!

No it ain't, only over one million ppl cities are cosmopolitans and we dont have that much yet. :)

• vebber

1. Winter last's about 6 months in finland (unless your moving to south)so make sure you have something warm to wear.

2. When you visit in finnish home- take your shoes off before you enter. (weather is usually bad and people wont be happy if you walk around the house with muddy shoes...)

3. Don't try to wear a svimsuit in sauna. In sauna, everybody will be naked. Don't worry, nobody will look at you "that way" in sauna...

4. Do not try "small talk" to strangers unless they'r drunk. (Sober Finnish person thiks that your some kind of crazy or something, if you don't know them and start to talk about the weather or else...)

5. Don't get me wrong. Finnish people are very warm and nice. It just take some time before they let you close and let you know them.

• LaihaKaakao

i would like to emphasise hint #5 in vebber's post above : "Finnish people are very warm and nice. It just takes some time before they let you close and let you know them."

That might be about the hardest lesson to learn in the beginning. You might get the feeling that we don't like you, but trust me, that is not the case.

• Finlandsucks

No, the truth is that finns are very anti-social and hard to get to know. Most are mentally ill or otherwise fucked up. Sad, but true.

A normal person is exotic here!

And to think that i have wasted ten years in here.

If you dont believe me, come here and see the ugly truth yourself. Finland is far from paradise.

• ontheotherhand
        Finlandsucks kirjoitti:

No, the truth is that finns are very anti-social and hard to get to know. Most are mentally ill or otherwise fucked up. Sad, but true.

A normal person is exotic here!

And to think that i have wasted ten years in here.

If you dont believe me, come here and see the ugly truth yourself. Finland is far from paradise.

Nobody's perfect. Especially not you.
        Here you get what you pay for.

• Anonyymi

Warm and nice?? , that is not true, Do not make me laugh

• Anonyymi
        Anonyymi kirjoitti:

Warm and nice?? , that is not true, Do not make me laugh

Warm and nice lmao :D

• is something

I advise you to move to one of these largest cities we have: Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa or Turku (the best weather) or maybe to Tampere.

As someone already told (in a rougher way), it may be hard to find sophisticated company in Finland. And the list of 5 tips that somebody wrote earlier on this conversation were facts.

If you're a black person or nether a christian nor an atheist I wanna warn you: unfortunately many finns are rasists :( luckily not all. Even if you weren't, finns can be really rude. (Well, nice and helpfull too :))

About you not speakin English. If you speak English or Swedish, you'll be just fine.

Well, I've said few bad things about my dear home Finland, so I'll now give you 5 good things about it:

1. Good public services such as nursing and school system etc.

2. Beautiful summers, which have lately been really warm, and when I say warm I mean it.

3. Many unnecessary festival days like "vappu" or "juhannus", when boozing is the word of the day.

4. Finnish is a safe country.

5. In the end, Finland is a great place to live :D

• just me

first of all: hellooo, Finland is not that safe. Well, again, it depends where you go but be aware there is assholes everywhere. And second, no I don't think Finland is that great place to live in especially if you're foreign.

• Anonyymi

This is exactly the kind of 'Finns' you will find in Finland, the elitist 5 % of Finlanders, aka swedish-speaking 'Finns'.

They give you all freedom to mock Finns, for them not being sophistic and their language sounding ugly.

They will never take you in as a friend. Learn Swedish and you are soon picking tomatoes or cleaning toilets, but you will never become 'one of them'. Never!

So please learn Swedish only and pretend that you are one of the 5 %. You can do whatever you want, they will not let you in, nor will they let you go either.

• talk more

than some of the rest of Finns. But even they may need some time to get to know you first. After a Finn decided he or she likes you, you'll be treated like a friend. We are rather simple in that way - we have close frineds and then there are the rest - strangers and enemies. Be patient. Learn a few words of Finnish, and your attempts wil be appreciated. It sounds so cute to hear a foreign accent, speaking Finnish!

Young people are more keen to talk with you, I suspect, and their English is usually better than the older folk's.

I hope you'll enjoy it here.

• Mao

and waste your life. Finland is a semi-agrarian society and very hard to integrate in. Many foreigners get insane in Finland, they get shut out from the opportunities available and get marginalised.

Think 64000 times before you come to Finland!!!

Regards

• kyren_est

I agree with you Mao.
        I can`t wait to get out of this country. least once in a week I have to force myself to think..."don`t worry, just one more year in finland and then you can continue normal life wherever I will be living"
        and I am not the only one who thinks that way. in our school there is about 30 foreigners and they all think the same way :S

I don`t know what is wrong with finns but they all seem to hate vit*n ulkomaalaisia (f*cking foreigners).
        I have heard that phrase quite a lot :(

I believe that here are also normal people, but I have meet just few of them.

kyren_est kirjoitti:

I agree with you Mao.
        I can`t wait to get out of this country. least once in a week I have to force myself to think..."don`t worry, just one more year in finland and then you can continue normal life wherever I will be living"
        and I am not the only one who thinks that way. in our school there is about 30 foreigners and they all think the same way :S

I don`t know what is wrong with finns but they all seem to hate vit*n ulkomaalaisia (f*cking foreigners).

Actually how you are treated depends what kind of company you keep. Tampere is pretty friendly place even for foreigners. My foreign friends like it here. I would actually suggest to stay out of the bigger places as in smaller town people tend to be friendlier.

I have never whitnessed a xenophobic insident in this town. Except once when an asian guy got pissed and kicked a guy in the head.

• jeevlare
        ............... kirjoitti:

Actually how you are treated depends what kind of company you keep. Tampere is pretty friendly place even for foreigners. My foreign friends like it here. I would actually suggest to stay out of the bigger places as in smaller town people tend to be friendlier.

I have never whitnessed a xenophobic insident in this town. Except once when an asian guy got pissed and kicked a guy in the head.

much good for nothings, everywhere playing their everlasting plying. Yes, Where are the workers, real workers - seem as the young peoples, and elders - too, just are looking for some easy and fast, not want anything else.
        The leasiest country in world.
        How pay that all?

• Finnish Man
        kyren_est kirjoitti:

I agree with you Mao.

Buahahaha...
        -- So you're an exchange student in finland? "then you can continue normal life.." You are young, inexperienced person who has credulous thougths about life abroad (out of Finland), i mean you blame finnish society because of your own personal frustrations? You are just frustrated because your expectations does not meet with the reality.
        As I know many of european countries due I've lived in those countries, I know from my own experience Finland is a VERY good country world wide, I guess the best country in the world for me.. So what would I say to you: try to change your attitude and be more open-minded to Finns, also be more tolerant, I guess after all we Finns are very gentle and frendly people.

• sideefect
        kyren_est kirjoitti:

I agree with you Mao.

It is a shame that the people you call normal are often the people who destroy our own culture and prosperity in our country.

• Anonyymi
        Finnish Man kirjoitti:

Buahahaha...
        -- So you're an exchange student in finland? "then you can continue normal life.." You are young, inexperienced person who has credulous thougths about life abroad (out of Finland), i mean you blame finnish society because of your own personal frustrations? You are just frustrated because your expectations does not meet with the reality.
        As I know many of european countries due I've lived in those countries, I know from my own experience Finland is a VERY good country world wide, I guess the best country in the world for me.. So what would I say to you: try to change your attitude and be more open-minded to Finns, also be more tolerant, I guess after all we Finns are very gentle and frendly people.

lol I wonder if this person knows the definition of "friendly people". Literally all the rest of the world's people are friendlier than Finns.

• th.thetruth

Finland sucks ass. If you want to kill yourslef while choking in penis then go ahead and move in this god forsaken land ROFL!

• . . . . . . . .
    • MaijaMay

I moved back to live here after being away nearly 30 years, and sorry to say, very disappointed, as have been used to live in a different cultural climate.
      It has taken more than 2 years to integrate, and still going on ...

I would advise you to think twice, perhaps to take a visit first, and then to think whether you wish to live in a country like this or not.
      the weather is harsh, no daylight during winter much to speak of, people very closed and odd in they own way, lots of drunken people everywhere, a phenomenon which I have not encountered anywhere in this scale. I live in Helsinki and am scared to move around.

Of course, the above is a statement which is a general picture. Smaller towns and countryside is absolutely beautiful, and the people different.
      Helsinki is a small city, but people think it is a huge metropolitan city.
      In my honest opinion the Finns are very very self centered, and some of them do not really know what is going on in a real big world. The news are not update on political issues, such as media broadcast in newspapers and internet.
      One has to read elsewhere, to get to the bottom of an issue.
      Surveillance cameras are everywhere, and honesty, one does not feel sort of free anywhere. Big brother is watching.

I hate Finland and finnish people so much that I will go grazy soon. Please dont come to here, you will go grazy soon. If only somebody can help me.

• hot hot hot
        779 kirjoitti:

I hate Finland and finnish people so much that I will go grazy soon. Please dont come to here, you will go grazy soon. If only somebody can help me.

What's the matter, mate? Can I help? Tell me all about it. I'm in Australia at the moment, but coming to Finland shortly, returning to the land where my roots are, permanently, I hope. Are you a foreigner in Finland or someone who had the missfortune to be born there? Surely there are worse places to be, for instance Australia - far too hot and too many cockroaches. Zimbabwe, Afganistan, Libya, Sweden, ...

• maija Meikal

Good luck to you, hot, if you are returning back to your roots! You will find many things have changed, and you might be very disappointed.
      People drink too much, women show their cheap side, it is really sad, fights everywhere, not to talk about the climate.

Most of my friends have, nearly all of them, diabetes, they are depressed.
      If you are white you are OK, any darker colour shade will not even give you a possibility to find a home to live in. Rasism flourished everywhere. The helth care sucks. Politians corrupt.

I cannot wait for a day when I can finally leave this country for a better one.

Welcome to the Paradise they advertise.

• Finnfucknoluck

Finland would be absolutely amazing, with outstanding social system and preserved nature, except for the Finnish people. If you are from an english speaking country you may have some luck as many people may ridiculously idolize you and kiss your ass to an extend it feels awkwardly weird (but still flattering, in a slimy way). If you are from somewhere else, tough luck. Finnish people in their awkwardness and autism like social state are rude and stupid and their only social skill is the ability to tell you how great finnish school system is over an over again, endlessly until you die from boredom. They still don't invite you to anywhere though. Honestly - I tell you an example of how far their avoidance of leaving their tiny and pathetic comfort zone for other people goes - if their grandparents live in inhumanly conditions in elder people homes shitting blood in their diapers, instead of helping them a finn may just sign a petition - and now we are talking about the most compassionate type of a finn here. Most of them just continue their passive and boring life and won't take a risk of action of any kind in fier that it could result in something out of ordinary, like life. They would probably complain about injustice in these forums, but no way that someone would actually do anything for anyone else in real life. It's not a coincidence that the social system here is as good as it is - it has to be because people would just let each other die on the streets, really, even if it was their best friends or family. Too much of a social inconvenience to do anything. These people are inhumanly cold, self centered and terrible know-it-alls, not actually realizing a bit of what is going on elsewhere. This place suffers form a small village phenomenon, nation wide. If you come here don't try to be friends with finns, find some foreigners. It will take you years to get to a level where you get an invitation for a cup of coffee with a finnish person and then if you do they just talk about the school system anyway. On the other hand i would warmly welcome more foreigners here to invade the country just to get rid of this unsocial small minded population, so please feel welcome to widen the gene pool of these authority loving, small souled inbreds and hopefully in future there will born a nonpassive, friendly and non autistic finnish person to god forgotten, dark and penis shape piece of europe.

• SuomiForEver

You write well, Finnfucknoluck, but you, like every one of us, sees things through their own filter and speak about their observations with the limits of their ability to find the right words. You write well though. Some of the things you say hurt a bit. Being an asperger-like woman born here in Finland I feel you describing me and my social awkwardness. But having lived half of my life overseas and then having returned home I now am a mixture of aloness-loving Finn and a talkative human being who would love to talk with strangers and make friends with those who ring my bell (and vice versa). My Finnish neighbours would be good company, I like their sincerity and their simple Finnishness, whatever that means, but they don't want to talk about issues that interest me. I do not want to talk about something so banal that afterwards you can't even remember what was said. I'd like to exchange ideas and experiences and observations and thoughts.

I hated Finland. For a long time. That's why I left. Abroad I 'found myself', realised my finnishness, began to appreciate its good sides and ponder its weaknesses. I wonder why so many of us still are such believers of the fraudulent political system, our school system that standardises us and makes us simple. Why so many of us believe and at least obey any authority and forget that those in power should represent us, at least if we pretend living in a democracy. In Finland they call it populism if a politician tries to do something people want him to do. And populism is bad. It's nearly as bad as racism (not wanting free loaders and lazy users and beggars to come and live on our expense) or patriotism (loving one's country). Finland is not a country of high living standards. This has become a country of welfare, not well being. Walfare, because our jobs have been taken and we are not allowed to start our own businesses. If you do, like I was planning to, you'll soon find that tax office, private superannuation funds, insurance corporations are at your pockets even you haven't earned a cent.

So come, if you have something to give to the sociaty here. Don't come as a user. Don't come to use our free (is it still free, I'm not sure?) tertiary education and wonder why the payers (every tax paying citizen) aren't happy. Find a Finnish partner and make beautiful mix-race human beings (look at our new lovely Miss Finland), but don't come and rape our women. That's not so sophisticated, you know. Aggression is a problem of the aggressor. Hate is the hater's shortcoming. We are all people. Those who look at a different race or a different population with disgust, are only showing their own lack of love for humanity. They are exhibiting their own racism, their own narrow-mindedness. Don't you think so?

• RegretfulStudent

Don't come to Finland if you value your individual happiness.

The country and its people can be summed up by the following "law of Jante":

The ten rules state:

1. You're not to think you are anything special.
      2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
      3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
      4. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are.
      5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
      6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
      7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
      8. You're not to laugh at us.
      9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
      10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

"These ten principles or commandments are often claimed to form the "Jante's Shield" of the Scandinavian people.

In the book, the Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against the town's communal desire to preserve harmony, social stability and uniformity."

In other words, Finland in a nutshell. As a foreigner (especially if you are non-white), you will automatically be treated with hostility and suspicion. Finland is a very racist, xenophobic and paranoid country. Moving here was the biggest mistake of my life.

• mylifeinhell

Finland is very cold country and people are assholes. Hell on earth whole country. Finns drink way too much alcohol, everyday. When you walk down streets You can see drunks everywhere. Do not belive those stories how great Finland is, lies, all lies.

• ulkomailinen

Very very but very true. 8 years living here and all the above is genuinely true. Only those that tolerate these shit will be able to live long in here.

• Anonyymi

I clean my ass with their stupid rules

• Neveragainfinland

Well to be honest i felt my well beign and physical health went downhill as soon as i came here.

People are cold profiteurs, full of themselves yet many have zero self confidence.

They do nothing for you unless they get paid. They are very jealous folk. Bad manners or no manners at all mostly. Girls whoring around..

Lots of bullying in schools.

Weather sucks, overall architecture is from soviet union. People are truly weird and seem to be scared of everything..

Everybody dresses down. Strange strange...

Education not that great to be honest. Nothing enticing here tbw.

Finland is strange and not worth all the bravado given by media for the brainwashed finnish masses. Nothing truly great or exeptional. Just kinda dying a slow agonizing death here that all folks...

• Finnhell

Finlands capital is helsinki.

The name tells you everything you are to look foward to when you enter: hell.

Worst country in the world and they think that they are the best. Brainwash, brainwash..

• Ulkomailinen

Don't came to Finland. I am mean, unless if you want to be discriminated by all the selfish Finns. Here you will find company's that discriminate you when you apply for jobs or during the interview and internships position that pas nothing for your work. Some HR will even ask if you were arrested based on you nationality. Here you will be through, if lucky, in a cleaning job where you will be exploited. You will be mistreat and inequality treated. Here people look at you as you were inferior to them, me me me me and only me. You will always be a foreign"ulkomailinen" even if you have born here. Here you will be depressed with the weather and Finnish depressing sad behavior. Finland is for Finn, that what you will hear here. Drunk Finn will judge you for your dark hair and eyes. And you will find even more shit. Finns are snobby. But, hey!! Not all, you will find awesome Finns too. Just like we all have good people among the shit people that reside in our own home country. One more thing. Finland is not as great as they think and advertise. If you are welling to tolerate all this crap then yeah , life in Finland is great. Good lucky

oiskohan toi tehnyt päätöksensä 11 vuotta sitten. Mitä luulet?

• Frenchie

I agree, even im born in finland I despise this country and especially people here are mean, negative and full of backstabbers... im waiting impatiently that I can move away. Weather is cold 10 months and summer is not that warm either, most of the days it's raining. It's impossible to work here and if you want to start your own business, even that is made for almost impossible. Food is very expensive on top of it all!
        -Finn

• Francesca20

Please dont make the same mistake as many of us did. If you are happy where you are now, stay there and enjoy. I am 28 years old woman , have a steady academic background, good education and have traveled and live in other countries a lot. I have been here for 5 years and has been a nightmare, one of the worst mistakes. I was very happy in my homeland but came to live here because I marry a finn. I have been working all the way and experiencing bad things and mistreat.

Its a very uncompatible society, very rustic people, hard language, ultra expensive and with very bad and sad weather. Not welcoming to foreigners and generally no culture at all, they copy parts of others. People are alcoholic, in drugs (in central areas in the big cities) mean , cold, jealous, fake, dont accept aging (forever teens, you will see grannies in tight jeans and old men in fashion sneakers and caps) and backstabbers. I have learn here that having a degree in the universiity doesnt make you a polite oreducated person.

Working environments are very passive agressive. Employers are unethical, coldblooded and use you as much as they can and will try to pay you as less because you are a foreigner. They will bully you because of your lack of language skills and skin color sometimes.
      If you read any good comments saying how amazing it is in here probably comes from somebody that doesnt go to work (unemployed , housewifes, etc)and enjoys benefits from the government and dont have to deal with the ugly part to have to fully integrate so their life might be easier.

Not all people are like this but the nice ones are a minority, honestly.

Wish you the best!

• YouBetterNot

Get a divorce and leave. Sounds like you're another foreign princess who expects the whole country to drop the shovel and come see your academic enlightenment.

Here's a newsflash. Finns don't like foreigners that much. They have been mistreated by their neighbours Sweden and Russia. Nobody helped them in 1939. After the war they built one of the safest welfare states in the world with little foreign help.
        Now all kinds of foreign scammers and bums are flooding in to live on welfare. This lying scum has no intent to work here. They fill the malls are harrassing girls and try to pick fights. Their egos are so enormous that if you dare to offer them a job, they're not interested and ask you to leave them alone.. And foreigners are talking shit about Finns, behind their backs. I think we all know how common this is. People like you add to it. Mostly for these reasons Finns don't like foreigners by default.

In my personal experience? If you're a good guy, you will be respected. But you have to earn it. I don't think 5 years is enough to integrate unless you learn the language quickly. Really depends on your own attitude. I don't believe you lived in other countries a lot. Countries in which you get the same treatment e.g. Japan, China, most of Middle-East, some of Africa, vast part of Russia, at least half of Europe. Hell even in Latin America you're gringo for life.

You're always a gringo, get used to it or go back home. The weather, seriously? You didn't bother to check the latitude before moving did ya? It's like people migrating to Scotland all the sudden discover they don't like weather. It's supposed to be hot and sunny all the time damn it. I really hate the attitude of some people when they move overseas. Do they think the weather and culture will follow them? I mean, isn't the meaning of travelling to experience new, something exotic? Apparently not. Things need to be just like they were back home.

I suppose the only advice I can give to people like you is this easy to remember, AA advice:
        Accept that you're a gringo
        Add something positive to your community

• Dissamela

Im italian and going crazy witj finnish people. First they dont appreciatr their country and if you talk goid things about Finland they laugh at you. I think most of finnish people are defective in some way. They dont support each other, they cant feel love or happyness, they are dont mean but very jealous and negative. They have really weird logic for doing things and never help each other. If somebody are in trouble they just shout to it "get a life, dont try to get attention", they have no kind of respect for other human beings, they are mean to kids and elders.

Very inhibitional persons, they look like they would murder you.

And really acting normal here IS exotic!

Honestly you cant find anything good in finish people! Its like they are unfinished human beings!

Dont move here!!

• TimeForALesson

So because Finns aren't self-centered as a nation, they are flawed?

After the war they built a welfare state from scratch with little or no outside help. You have a lot of nerve to say they don't support each other.. You know damn well they take a bullet for one another. You know damn well they have no homeless people or beggars, besides some *foreigners* who are scammers. Besides the fact that you lack the knowledge of their recent history you fail to recognize cultural difference as well. Finns living overseas are considered exotic by locals. There must be cultural difference then.

But please do keep living on welfare in one of the safest countries in the world, provided by the terrible, unhelpful Finns. Obviously you don't want more foreigners here, as you know this country would then turn into a 3rd world country. As much as you hate the Finns, you don't want more foreigners here as you know how bad they are in comparison.

Maybe try to take this into consideration. Finns got no help in 1939 from anybody. After war they built one of the safest welfare societies in the world with very little foreign help. Now, foreign scammers and bums are flooding in, living on welfare never going to work in this country. They fill the malls and are harrassing finnish girls and try to pick a fight all the time. They act like the monkeys in India. They have lost faith in humanity, especially foreigners.

So, if you're a useless shit-for-brains with a huge ego, like this Italian ^^here^^ don't move here. If you're honest, open minded but not naive, want to contribute to mankinds collective well being and are willing to work hard for it, welcome.

• TiwiMunt

Don NOT come to Finland if your habit is to complain of all your experience. We have already too many people from third world countries complaining EVERYDAY about too small apartmets, too small social benefits and All the lack that will have to suffer. And they get all that for free.

• Chimney

This country is shittiest place iv ever been and i am bare foot finn. This country is the most corrupt state in europe. Here rules Hyväveli organization.

• thereisnofinland

How can you move into a sea? Finland doesn't exist.

• Foreigner2018

Finland has beautiful nature but the climate and the anti-social attitude of Finns make life here unpleasant. If the cold doesn't bother u and u have friends abroad, then come.
      Don't expect any empathy either from Finns. I had so many colds and other issues and whenever I communicated them to a Finn, they weither went silent or changed the subject. Apparently, it is rude to ask someone if they're OK or how can you help them. The attitude here is, 'Help yourself and don't rely on others for help.'. I'm looking forward to moving abroad :)

• TrueFinn

To begin with, I'm a Finn who has recently moved back after couple of years abroad.

Speaking on my behalf, I believe most of the negative comments on this board come from foreigners who have failed to integrate into our society. Having lived and studied abroad in a few countries myself, I can definitely imagine how difficult it must be to build friendships, learn the language (which is by all means hard to learn but many locals appreciate any effort to do so) and feel at home in Finland. These and many other constraints one may face in the beginning and years to come can have a negative, long-lasting impact on one's personal perceptions of our country as well as its people but I would like to stress few points that everyone should consider before giving their final judgement.

First of all, the weather may put you off and feel depressed, particularly if your origins are in the country with tropical climate without four seasons of weather that vary significantly between each other. However, as many foreigners have experienced this can also turn out to be something new and exciting for them, especially for those interested in sports and activities such as photography and trekking. So whenever you're feeling down, go out and explore the nature, even in winter when the Southern Finland turns into a one big dark place for few months. Or go up north to find the most beautiful landscapes we have to offer.

Second, I do agree that many locals ignore any contact coming from the foreigners, usually due to our personal shyness and sometimes distrust towards people who look and act different than most of us. But I can guarantee that these behavioral patterns apply to only some of us, usually uneducated and self-centered individuals who behave almost the same way regardless of the person in question. So in order to avoid such experiences, in particular before one possess sufficient Finnish skills and understanding of our culture, I would advice newcomers to seek out people with talent and international exposure. Highly-educated citizens are forced to cope with cultural differences including meeting people from different countries in their daily jobs and tend to respond more kindly to any act of contact. Moreover, meeting folks who share same hobbies and interests can be a great way to interact since you always have something to share and in common between you. If you have problems to find housing, a job or other common concerns, there is help available. You just need to figure out how to find it. This is where the government agencies and other parties can come to aid.

I also want to mention that despite the rather cold nature of our citizens, we are also trustworthy and tend to keep our word which makes it easier to arrange your life in here without the need to deal with corruption although bureaucracy can be overwhelming as in almost any country in Europe. Job market is challenging but I would say you're still better of in here with or without a job than in most places in the world. As already mentioned in other comments, the lack of beggars in the streets tells you something about the fundamentals of our current system which is still, although characterized with some fundamental defects, based on values of care and support. Schools on average are good and mostly free of political influence and social class concerns.

It's also essential to acknowledge that every country has its pros and cons and Finland is no exception. For fluent English speakers there may be better opportunities elsewhere but that is also related to one's profession and level of education. Many English-speaking countries including Australia, the UK and the US have made it more difficult for foreigners to immigrate into their countries. Half of the nations in Europe have to deal with growing amount of asylum seekers and political instability so people's perceptions toward immigrants are way more hostile than in here. But it's first and foremost about one's own views and needs as an individual. I can tell that I have learned to appreciate what we have in here after living abroad and whatever issues you face in here as a foreigner you'll probably have to deal with anyway no matter where you decide to move and settle.

I personally would like to see more hard-working people moving in as we're in need of them due to our demographics and aging population. Young generation in general is more open for newcomers so I expect things to get easier for future immigrants in terms of racism and cultural conflicts.

• I like it here, nice country and people are usually friendly.

• Anonyymi

Don't beileve in this comment. There are easier places on earth and I am sure your life is more valuable than being nannies to aging Finnish population.

• Anonyymi

Even if this is old but oh yea, you should DEF drop out your own nation 20-50 yo age groups and leave them jobless so you can pull whole 3rd world in to fill our "demographics and aging population" need. s/
        Also, finno-ugric hate is massive and coming even from countries whom dont even know Finland really, whole world is targeting finns and want them perished(which is happening, as REAL minority) Talking about racism..

• Anonyymi

Do not waste your time coming to this boring, depressing shithole, full of unemployment, racism, and stupid people yes they are stupid like sheeps, probably there are better places, do not do the same mistake i did.

• Anonyymi

This country is so tiresome,
      it's like the longer you linger around here,
      the more you want out of here.
      They talk of honesty, etc.
      But honestly, about the most two-faced people
      I have ever dealt with, not all but many, too many.
      In Helsinki streets are real bad with holes and cracks,
      bunch of uneven surfaces and gaps of all kinds!!
      Very strange how bad roads in capitol city!!
      Always digging up roads too, no quality repair.
      This country has a lot of serious problems,
      every country has problems and they may, may not
      be different kinds, it's too much to explain here
      but they have had so much fear throughout history
      of begin invaded and so the geopolitical uncertainty
      has done its damage! Allies have changed throughout
      the years, history has a lot to do with all this.
      I would like to exit this country for good but can't.
      Stay away from here!

• Anonyymi

I truly wish that I could get out of here for good
      but I cannot leave.
      Once upon a time I had a great life in America,
      I'll always love America,
      I'll never forget the feeling of greatness,
      The American Spirit!
      I lived from coast to coast,
      from Sea to Shining Sea!
      Very special country The United States of America,
      like no other on the Face of the Earth!
      Thank You America!

• Anonyymi

Women are absolute whores.

• Anonyymi

Some of us here in hateful Finland,
      we genuainly love America!
      We don't agree with most Finns
      who are bad mouthing the U.S.

• Anonyymi

I’m sick of the Finns and their stupid rules of subnormal people, I’m sick of workers coming into your house or being able to come into your house to repair something while you’re not there, in normal European countries this idiocy doesn’t happen, they talk a lot about the supposed honesty and that is a big lie, I have worked in a store and I have seen Finns steal. try to rip alarms off clothes, and even steal buttons from clothes, and so on, so don’t talk to me about stupid honesty, no worker is going to enter my house to repair anything if i am not there, that’s a crime , it is trespassing, I do not know if the worker is going to steal something or check my house to see what I have, because i do not know himat all, so ... another thing that bothers me is that these workers knock on the door and do not wait even 5 seconds, they think they have the right to open the door even when the tenant is inside, NO!! they have to wait a reasonable time for the owner or the tenant to open the door , if no one answer then they can enter, i have chosen to close the door from the inside and they have to wait for me to open it, i had already twice unpleasant situations that had happened to me because of these people. do not wait or respect, and i never leave the house without locking it, in this country some finns are already breaking into houses and apartments to rob, but of course they blame foreigners when many of those who steal they are finns

• Anonyymi

Same happened to me. Always report it to the housing company. Repairmen have to follow the rules so if you told them only to enter when you are there they have to respect that and they must be warned.

• Anonyymi

Dont talk shit, apart from junkies(real problem here yeah) almost all robbers been foreign. You think natives started roadman"culture"?? Finns dont steal buttons from clothes LOL
        I hope you have left the country already, ruski Igor ;)

• Anonyymi

Short and sweet:
      Stay away from here!

• Anonyymi

I had a very difficult time. There are very self centered, very selfish, narrow minded people here. Despite living close to ten years they never accepted me as friends and never interested to get to know me. Spent many precious years of my life alone here.

• Anonyymi

In some unusual ways many people here are
      somewhat abnormal,
      it may be because of history,
      uncertainty of Independence and security issues
      for decades.
      The Cold War did a lot of damage to Finland.
      There are some good parts too, like the countryside
      with million cottages all over,
      many of them built by individuals by themselves,
      going back to years of WW1 and WW2.
      There are/were heroes in Finland too.
      Today's Finland is no more.
      I do not recommend this country for a lifetime.

• Anonyymi

You may live 10000 years here and they will still not fully trust you, not fully accept you as friends. First of all it is impossible to make friends here. It is not exaggeration.
      They never ever include foreigners in their plans, make their real friends.
      People will tell you you have to be proactive. You have to act like a needy bastard to deserve the "friendliness" of these "superhumans". If you have a little bit of honor you will stay alone. Even when you ask to be included in things they purposefully exclude you, they will tell you it is for close friends and they can hang out with you seperately. They you will arrange meetings with them and they will lie by saying they are busy although you planned events and not hang out with you at all, or sometimes they won't even reply your messages and still post their hangouts with their few real friends. Honesty is a big bullshit and online marketing. People here are super jealous, super gossipy and they lie when needed. They talk so much after foreigners that you will feel like you are in a police state. Finland doesn't need a police because every Finn is a secret police. In this country trust exists only between Finns. A foreigners is seen as forever a foreigner so putting an effort to get accepted in society forever won't give you much back other than frustrations.
      Another thing is they don't even have common courtesy here. People look grumpy entire time including the service people who deal with customers. They never smile to you, they are pretty much always acting rude, they can't care less, and act like you are the one need to deserve the service. I mean these people literally get paid to serve you and earning quite well. It is all fucked up in every way here.

• Anonyymi

Finns are known from their melancholy- and what do you expect from old slaved abused peoples in dark cold land?? If you dont like how natives behave, you dont have to come here.
        I hate entitled "other people" who come here and then force their customs and habits on finns, making childish Finland bashing vids on tube/tiktok. Stay in south/east.

• Anonyymi

In everyday life there is unfairness and
      cowardly acts in Finland!

• Anonyymi

Such an empty country!
      No vibes of any kind.
      You will end up losing a lot of life if you end up here!
      STAY AWAY FROM HERE!

• Anonyymi

Do not waste your time coming here there are no jobs, and if you are a foreigner forget about it, unless you want to do shitty jobs as a cleaner even if you have good education and skills, they will ignore you, they are 2 faced people, jealous, envious, this place is boring as hell, nothing interesting to do here, too much silence, at 5 pm you see no one on the streets, not so much opportunities to study, work or even to buy " something different" they do not even have their own amazon or ebay site, always the same boring shops like tokmanni, prisma, city market and nothing else, rude people with no manners, they still behave like wild animals, the goverment force you to do integration courses,learn the language, then to go to the ammattikoulu or vocational school, because they say..." it will be easy for you to get a job " bullshit do not fall in the trap, that is not true i have many foreign friends that can tell you stories about discrimination, racism, and years without getting a job, only Työharjoittelu ( working practice) so the employer does not pay you, and once you end the contract they do not even propose even part time job, no they just use you and then bye bye...and they really jealous people among themselves and foreigners

• Anonyymi

LET ME OUTTA HERE!!
      Let me out of here, please.

• Anonyymi

I left Finland many years ago for many years,
      but then I came back here many years ago,
      so I was away from here a long time
      and have been back now for a long time.

It has really been a great dissapointment altogether!
      Many everyday happenings have changed
      to much worse ways, to many to mention.
      Basically almost everything.

I do wish I would have never returned here.

• Anonyymi

City governments of Finland
      intentionally make daily life more difficult,
      then in exchange for hard cold cash,
      they let you have your way,
      not realizing THEY, THE GOV., THEY WORK FOR YOU!!
      YOU ARE THE BOSS, not them wannabes!

• Anonyymi

This country has a government that is not
      for the people, it's own people.
      Yet the gov is the people and vice versa.
      It says something about the people of this country.

• Anonyymi

I'm just tired of everything Finland!
      I would like to go back home to America!
      I've been kinda stuck here but not sure why?
      I guess my fate?!

• Anonyymi

This is a shit lying country,
      has always played from both sides of fence!

• Anonyymi

Finland, a weak nation, never a leader!
      I wish I could return back home to
      The United States!!

• Anonyymi

Dis cunt'ry sucks hairy balls!

• Anonyymi

You will do much better in the Netherlands,
      Germany, UK, Ireland or Austria for example!
      Finland will be very difficult for you and
      you may not even like it in the end?
      This country is not a great country to live a life!
      There are far worse places in the World no doubt!
      But those countries mentioned above are
      much better shots than to relocate to Finland.
      No, don't do it!

• Anonyymi

Quite bad country to live a lifetime after all!

• Anonyymi

You don't wanna end up in Finland!
      Believe me!

Ketjusta on poistettu 9 sääntöjenvastaista viestiä.

Luetuimmat keskustelut

1. KUPSinpelaaja vangittu törkeästä rikoksesta

Tänään tuli uutinen että Kupsin sopimuspelaajs vangittu törkeästä rikoksesta epäiltynä. Kuka pelaaja kysressä ja mikä ri
      Kuopio
    2. Taasko se show alkaa

Koo osottaa taas mieltään
      Ikävä
    3. Minun oma kaivattuni

Ei ole mikään ilkeä kiusaajatyyppi, vaan sivistynyt ja fiksu sekä ystävällinen ihminen, ja arvostan häntä suuresti. Raka
      Ikävä
    4. Miksi ihmeessä nainen seurustelit kanssani joskus

Olin ruma silloin ja nykyisin vielä rumempi En voi kuin miettiä että miksi Olitko vain rikki edellisestä suhteesta ja ha
      Ikävä
    5. Persut nimittivät kummeli-hahmon valtiosihteeriksi!

Persujen riveistä löytyi taas uusi törkyturpa valtiosihteeriksi! Jutun perusteella järjenjuoksu on kuin sketsihahmolla.
      Perussuomalaiset
    6. Tervehdys!

Sä voit poistaa nää kaikki, mut mä kysyn silti A:lta sen kokemuksia sun käytöksestä eron jälkeen. Btw, miks haluut sabot
      Turku
    7. Onko ministeri Juuso epäkelpo ministerin tehtäviensä hoitamiseen?

Eikö hänellä ole kompetenttia hoitaa sosiaali- ja terveysministetin toimialalle kuuluvia ministerin tehtäviä?
      Perussuomalaiset
    8. Elia tulee vielä

Johannes Kastaja oli Elia, mutta Jeesus sanoi, että Elia tulee vielä. Malakian kirjan profetia Eliasta toteutuu kokonaan
      Helluntailaisuus
    9. Sakarjan kirjan 6. luku

Jolla korva on, se kuulkoon. Sain profetian 22.4.2023. Sen sisältö oli seuraava: Suomeen tulee nälänhätä niin, että se
      Profetiat
    10. Nellietä Emmaa ja Amandaa stressaa

Ukkii minnuu Emmaa ja Amandaa stressaa ihan sikana joten voidaanko me koko kolmikko hypätä ukin kainaloon ja syleilyyn k
      Isovanhempien jutut
    Aihe