Suomi24 Keskustelussa on viikonlopun aikana ollut poikkeuksellisen paljon bottien automaattiseti luomia kommentteja. Pahoittelemme tästä aiheutunutta harmia. Olemme kiristäneet Keskustelujen suojausasetuksia ja kommentointi on toistaiseksi estetty ulkomailta.

New in Finland

American

Hi ya'll!

I'm almost 20 years old and from Dallas, TX. I moved to Finland to go to school here. I don't have any friends here yet, so if you like, please write me an answer back here and I'll get in touch with you. It'd be nice to get to know people my age and older or younger!

Vastaukset

Anonyymi (Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy)
    • Irwin Goodman

Please tell me more about Yourself.

What did You know about Suomi before You decided to travel here.

How much in general, people know about Suomi in Texas ?

Do they know where You are now ?

• American

Hey! thanks for the reply.

I didn't know that much about finland before I came here. But I read some from the internet. The reason i wanted to come here was because my great grandparents were from Finland.
        People in general, all over the US, don't know much about Finland, if they haven't taken Geographic advanced class at school. So yea, not a lot of people know where Finland is. And yeah, the closest people do know where I am.

• Irwin Goodman
        American kirjoitti:

I didn't know that much about finland before I came here. But I read some from the internet. The reason i wanted to come here was because my great grandparents were from Finland.
        People in general, all over the US, don't know much about Finland, if they haven't taken Geographic advanced class at school. So yea, not a lot of people know where Finland is. And yeah, the closest people do know where I am.

Thanks. I have no further questions.

You are welcome to Finland. Try to keep an open mind, so that You will enjoy and learn alot about Finland.

• Geography 1.0
        American kirjoitti:

Well, Americans tend to be quite "insular" in their attitude and knowledge (or lack thereof) of the rest of the world, but you could say that Finns don't know all that much about most countries in the world, either, or even about countries in Europe. What do we know about Slovenia - most people probably won't tell Slovenia from Slovakia, and worse still, people even mix up our Baltic neighbours Latvia and Lithuania, probably even after having visited both, which IS very embarassing...

• Jukka

Where do you live, btw? I am a guy in early 30's living in Helsinki. Just send mail if you interested getting touch with.

• American

I live in Tampere. I go to school at Tampere Ammattikorkea and I study geographic and science. I haven't been to Helsinki yet(except for the airport).

• Jukka
        American kirjoitti:

I live in Tampere. I go to school at Tampere Ammattikorkea and I study geographic and science. I haven't been to Helsinki yet(except for the airport).

OK. Tampere is not very far from Helsinki and there's fast rail connection with dozens of departures a day.
        If you come down to Helsinki I can put you up.
        Just send me a mail: [email protected]

• American
        Jukka kirjoitti:

OK. Tampere is not very far from Helsinki and there's fast rail connection with dozens of departures a day.
        If you come down to Helsinki I can put you up.
        Just send me a mail: [email protected]

I'm not actually able to come to Helsinki any time soon. I'm real busy studying and low on money. I need to save up a little. And for Christmas I'm going back home for a few weeks. But I might go to Helsinki next year. Thanks anyway!

• finnish
        American kirjoitti:

I'm not actually able to come to Helsinki any time soon. I'm real busy studying and low on money. I need to save up a little. And for Christmas I'm going back home for a few weeks. But I might go to Helsinki next year. Thanks anyway!

Hey!

I´m almost 20 too and I live close to tampere.Let me know if you want to get touch with me.

• Jayrei
        American kirjoitti:

Im 25 yo guy from Tampere, if you wanna talk or meet, send email >>> [email protected]

• Rentun Ruusu

The best way to learn finnish, is to listen Irwin Goodman songs.

I wonder if You have ever heard of him in Texas?

• Corpus

Have You ever seen a FINNISH MADE movie in Texas ?

• American
        Corpus kirjoitti:

Hey!
        Thanks for your reply!
        About Finnish movies, when I was 17, me and my mom took a trip to Finland and I bought some stuff. I bought 2 movies that were Uno T-something and Umur. I liked them very much. I also knew Mika Hakkinen, Teemu Selanne and Kimi Raikkonen.

But if you meant if I've seen any finnish movies in the theaters in Texas, then no!

• Day Job

How well known is NIGHTWISH in Texas ?

• American
        Day Job kirjoitti:

How well known is NIGHTWISH in Texas ?

that's a good question. I think no one in Texas, American, knows about them, if they aren't fans of that kind of music and finds music from europe. Other than that I'm guessing not a lot of people know them. Same with Him and The Rasmus. The Rasmus is sold in CD stores, but no one knows where they're from.

• Dallas pulla

Is it true that You dont have / eat salmiakki in Taxas ?

We have a slogan " black but still so Finnish ".

You should try some !

• American
        Dallas pulla kirjoitti:

Is it true that You dont have / eat salmiakki in Taxas ?

We have a slogan " black but still so Finnish ".

You should try some !

Yeah I love Salmiakki!! It's great.
        We don't have Salmiakki in Texas or anywhere else in the US, as far as I know, however we do have black liqourice which is quite good.

• Baddingo

Do You know a game called Finnish BASEBALL ?

Have You heard of Tahko Pihkala ?

He is the father of the game at 30s.

• öxx
        American kirjoitti:

Yeah I love Salmiakki!! It's great.
        We don't have Salmiakki in Texas or anywhere else in the US, as far as I know, however we do have black liqourice which is quite good.

Yeah, they sell salmiakki (sal ammoniac) in Canada at least (its imported from Germany and called "salmiak"). You might also want to ask your local pharmacist for it in the US. You may also find it in bigger private candy stores (not chain stores).

• American
        Baddingo kirjoitti:

Nope, I haven't heard of that team. I know they play baseball here and it's different than American though. My favorite team is Texas Rangers...:D

• American
        öxx kirjoitti:

Yeah, they sell salmiakki (sal ammoniac) in Canada at least (its imported from Germany and called "salmiak"). You might also want to ask your local pharmacist for it in the US. You may also find it in bigger private candy stores (not chain stores).

Good to know! Thanks! I might try it over at christmas time when I go back!

• Daddingo
        American kirjoitti:

Nope, I haven't heard of that team. I know they play baseball here and it's different than American though. My favorite team is Texas Rangers...:D

Tahko Pihkala is very famous in Finland.

Many people dont know this game from Finland so well, but it is growing very fast.

Finns play in countries like Sweden & Estonia & Germany & Australia & Spain & New Zealand & Canada.

• DeerHill
        American kirjoitti:

Hey!
        Thanks for your reply!
        About Finnish movies, when I was 17, me and my mom took a trip to Finland and I bought some stuff. I bought 2 movies that were Uno T-something and Umur. I liked them very much. I also knew Mika Hakkinen, Teemu Selanne and Kimi Raikkonen.

But if you meant if I've seen any finnish movies in the theaters in Texas, then no!

Have You ever heard of brothers Kaurismäki.

They are brothers Mika & Aki.

When You say that you have seen their movies, Youll get an quiet Finn finally talking.

Try once.

• Stripes
        Corpus kirjoitti:

Have You heard of Aileen WUORNOS ?

She is the winnig OSCAR´s star of movie MONSTER.

• American
        Stripes kirjoitti:

Have You heard of Aileen WUORNOS ?

She is the winnig OSCAR´s star of movie MONSTER.

Hey!
        Yeah Charlize Theron's the Oscar winner...lol! But yeah I've heard of the movie and seen it. Her grandparents(Aileen's) were Finnish!

• Stockboll
        Daddingo kirjoitti:

Tahko Pihkala is very famous in Finland.

Many people dont know this game from Finland so well, but it is growing very fast.

Finns play in countries like Sweden & Estonia & Germany & Australia & Spain & New Zealand & Canada.

I don agree with You as You say that,

" Suomi Baseball is know as the fastest growing sports outside of Finland ".

In many countries they havent even heard of Suomi Baseball, or know our salmiakki.

There are even many Swedes, that dont know this game.

• puckhead
        Stockboll kirjoitti:

In many countries they havent even heard of Suomi Baseball, or know our salmiakki.

Thank You for bringing up Sweden.

Most Swedes dont know about Finland a bit. Im sure that most of them never heard of any of these, written to this Texas dude.

Sweden isnt best in everything, including sports.

• Sillinger
        Stockboll kirjoitti:

This i no problem in Finland.

If Swedes lack the information, so someone will sell it to them...

Just like Santa Claus does.

• Earhill
        Sillinger kirjoitti:

This i no problem in Finland.

If Swedes lack the information, so someone will sell it to them...

Just like Santa Claus does.

Santa Claus gives presents, not sells them.

Finland is know for Korvatunturi.

It hears everything.

• Windy City
        Baddingo kirjoitti:

Have You heard of Wilson Sporiting Goods in US ?

Do You know Roger TALERMO ?

He works for the AMER Co, and is newly elected to as Finnish Olympic Commitee Chairman.

He too knows Finnish Baseball and US Baseball very well.

• Roger Rabbit
        Windy City kirjoitti:

Have You heard of Wilson Sporiting Goods in US ?

Do You know Roger TALERMO ?

He works for the AMER Co, and is newly elected to as Finnish Olympic Commitee Chairman.

He too knows Finnish Baseball and US Baseball very well.

He is very busy.

Roger wont have time for Finnish or American Baseball.

FOC is only for the Olympic Games.

• Forest
        Roger Rabbit kirjoitti:

He is very busy.

Roger wont have time for Finnish or American Baseball.

FOC is only for the Olympic Games.

Baseball is part of the Olympic family...

You dump...

so Wilson is part of the Olympic Baseball.

• Finalland
        American kirjoitti:

Hey!
        Yeah Charlize Theron's the Oscar winner...lol! But yeah I've heard of the movie and seen it. Her grandparents(Aileen's) were Finnish!

Aileen was born and raised in Minnesota. Her grandparents were from Finland.

I think that they changed their name, after moving to USA.

I dont know anybody by that lastname in Finland.

Thank God.

• Great Lakes
        Finalland kirjoitti:

Aileen was born and raised in Minnesota. Her grandparents were from Finland.

I think that they changed their name, after moving to USA.

I dont know anybody by that lastname in Finland.

Thank God.

Look at Helsinki telephone book.

She was born and raised in Michigan, not in Minnesota.

Both of these states at at Great Lakes, where they moved from Finland.

• Matt

Do you know the song "There's a new kid in town. Everybody's talking. There's a new kid in town. Just an other new kid in town"?? Welcome to Finland. I've got lots of relatives in the States. I have never met them. I've been to Texas once, to Houston. Where I live (Vaasa) there was a guy as exchange student. He learnt both Swedish and Finnish so well that he got a job in a pub. Thumbs up for Kerry!

• American

Hey!
        Thank you for welcoming me!! Umm..I'm not sure if I've heard that song :P it sounds cool though!
        Houston is a nice place. I've been there only once too.
        I am hoping to learn Finnish pretty well too, but it's really hard. I'm lucky I'm usually good at learning new languages, so I guess it won't be too hard. At least I hope so!

• KiVi
        American kirjoitti:

Hey!
        Thank you for welcoming me!! Umm..I'm not sure if I've heard that song :P it sounds cool though!
        Houston is a nice place. I've been there only once too.
        I am hoping to learn Finnish pretty well too, but it's really hard. I'm lucky I'm usually good at learning new languages, so I guess it won't be too hard. At least I hope so!

The song is "New kid in town" by The Eagles, from the late seventies or early eighties.

• Saarijärvi

Do You know Pamela Andersson ?

Did You know, that her grandparents are from Finland too ?

• American

Yeah, I know Pamela Andersson. I've read somewhere that she's Finnish origin! It's very cool. Also Christine Lahti is Finnish origin(her grandparents are I think)....in fact there's a show in the US that just started starring Christine and it was nice to see the commercials and seeing Lahti! :D

• Born American
        American kirjoitti:

Yeah, I know Pamela Andersson. I've read somewhere that she's Finnish origin! It's very cool. Also Christine Lahti is Finnish origin(her grandparents are I think)....in fact there's a show in the US that just started starring Christine and it was nice to see the commercials and seeing Lahti! :D

Do You know Renny Harlin ? He is born in Finland, but lives in Hollywood now.

Born American was his first movie.

• Dolomites
        Born American kirjoitti:

Renny Harlin is most known for Cliffhanger movie, staring Sylverter Stallone.

Stallone is famous for ROCKY boxing series.

Driven is well known in all Formula One countries.

• Boxing Day
        Dolomites kirjoitti:

Renny Harlin is most known for Cliffhanger movie, staring Sylverter Stallone.

Stallone is famous for ROCKY boxing series.

Driven is well known in all Formula One countries.

Driven is about NASCAR series.

It is different to F One.

Stallone is more know for ROCKY.

• American
        Boxing Day kirjoitti:

Driven is about NASCAR series.

It is different to F One.

Stallone is more know for ROCKY.

I sure know Harlin! He's very good, though not really that famous. Even though his films are pretty famous, he's not. =( Maybe someday he'll be!

• Sunset & Maine
        American kirjoitti:

I sure know Harlin! He's very good, though not really that famous. Even though his films are pretty famous, he's not. =( Maybe someday he'll be!

He is the best known Finn in Hollywood. You dont have to be that famous, to be a Finn.

• Reilu Meininki
        Sunset & Maine kirjoitti:

He is the best known Finn in Hollywood. You dont have to be that famous, to be a Finn.

There are no other Famous FINNS in Hollywood.

We have this one thing called Renny Harlin, but he is more know in Finland than Hollywoods.

• Dry Canada

Pamela Anderson is Canadian.

She is born at Vancouver Island. It is an small island by Vancouver City.

• MotorOne
        Born American kirjoitti:

Have You seen the movie DRIVEN ?

Sylvester Stallone & Burt Reynolds are starring on this Indy car movie. It is like Formula One here in Europe, that is very pop thanks to two time Mika Häkkinen & Kimi Räikkönen.

Are the drivers well known in USA ?

• born to be wild
        Dry Canada kirjoitti:

Pamela Anderson is Canadian.

She is born at Vancouver Island. It is an small island by Vancouver City.

How well known is Pamela in the USA ?

Is she the best know Finn in America ?

• Tannerheim
        born to be wild kirjoitti:

How well known is Pamela in the USA ?

Is she the best know Finn in America ?

Is she Finlands Swedish ?

Anderson is hardly ever finnish speakings name, in Finland.

• Governor
        Tannerheim kirjoitti:

Is she Finlands Swedish ?

Anderson is hardly ever finnish speakings name, in Finland.

The family name here in Finland was "Hyytiäinen" I think. They wanted to change it to some swedish sounding name in America, because they didn´t want themselves to be mixed up in people´s minds being russians, that Hyytiäinen being a bit strange sounding a name in the english speaking world.

• Sointula
        Governor kirjoitti:

The family name here in Finland was "Hyytiäinen" I think. They wanted to change it to some swedish sounding name in America, because they didn´t want themselves to be mixed up in people´s minds being russians, that Hyytiäinen being a bit strange sounding a name in the english speaking world.

Was his father a member of Sointula Island ? The Finn Utopia community, that Matti Kurikka founded after his Utopia journey to Australia ?

• valekala

Have You hear of Kalevala ?

Did You know that J.J.J. Tolkie had read it, before his own LORD OF THE RINGS series ?

• American

Yeah I have heard of the book. But never read it. I've also read that Tolkien got some ideas from it for her books! It's cool.

• Lonnrot
        American kirjoitti:

Yeah I have heard of the book. But never read it. I've also read that Tolkien got some ideas from it for her books! It's cool.

Have You heard of the movies ?

Those were made in New Zealand. Those are quite known in Finland.

They speak a language similar to finnish, in those movies.

• American
        Lonnrot kirjoitti:

Everyone in the US knows the lord of the rings movies!! Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom became really famous after the first part and it was a huge deal all over the US. I really like the movies too!

• åborginal
        Lonnrot kirjoitti:

I think that they spoke maori.

A language that natives speak in New Zealand.

Maori is not related to suomi.

• Wellington
        åborginal kirjoitti:

Do You know english Captain Cook ?

Captain Cook had a Finn on his journeys to New Zealand, called Dr Spörring. He was from Turku, but had moved to Stockholm Sweden via to London.

Captain Cook named some islands for him, thanks to his efforts on Cooks journeys. Spörring Island at the Pacific.

He had already then said that maori is like finnish language, not like swedish nor english.

Captain Cook is well known in NZ, thanks to Cook Straight and tallest NZ mountain called Cook.

Cook was a hero, after he returned to his native England.

• Aoteroa
        Wellington kirjoitti:

Captain Cook had a Finn on his journeys to New Zealand, called Dr Spörring. He was from Turku, but had moved to Stockholm Sweden via to London.

Captain Cook named some islands for him, thanks to his efforts on Cooks journeys. Spörring Island at the Pacific.

He had already then said that maori is like finnish language, not like swedish nor english.

Captain Cook is well known in NZ, thanks to Cook Straight and tallest NZ mountain called Cook.

There is no record of anyone called Dr Spörring, at Captain Cooks log book ?

What has happened to him ?

Do You mean Solander of Sweden, a student of Carl Linnea ?

• Tea Party
        Wellington kirjoitti:

How do you think that Americans know english Captain Cook.

He has no role in American history, so most Americans havent even heard of him ?

Americans read their own history, Lee & Washington & Jeffreson & Franklin etc...

USA got thier independence, just fighting the British.

• Endurance
        Tea Party kirjoitti:

He has no role in American history, so most Americans havent even heard of him ?

Americans read their own history, Lee & Washington & Jeffreson & Franklin etc...

Hoops... Wasnt it just native American that killed Captain Cook ?

I think most Americans know this as a fact ?

• Plymouth
        Tea Party kirjoitti:

Why do the Americans still speak english as their first language ? They should thank the British for thier language, and know the history better too.

• BootHill
        Wellington kirjoitti:

Someone wrote that he was killed, and you that he got a heros welcome when he returned to his native England.

Is there any web pages to read from, and to look at ?

• New Amsterdam
        Plymouth kirjoitti:

Why do the Americans still speak english as their first language ? They should thank the British for thier language, and know the history better too.

Americans should Thank the British for their language. In their short history almost german language became the most spoken, but the British kept their head.

What would the outcome of the 2nd WW have been, if USA had been all german speakers ?

• Uppsala
        Aoteroa kirjoitti:

There is no record of anyone called Dr Spörring, at Captain Cooks log book ?

What has happened to him ?

Do You mean Solander of Sweden, a student of Carl Linnea ?

Both were Linnea students.

Solander & Spöring were students of this world famous Linnea. Thatswhy they were asked to join Captain Cook to the south seas.

Did you make sure of the correct spelling of the name Spöring ?

• Union Jack
        BootHill kirjoitti:

Someone wrote that he was killed, and you that he got a heros welcome when he returned to his native England.

Yes there are.

Look at Captain Cook at Google, if you are interrested.

He was killed by Hawaii natives year 1779.

Hawaii is the only state of US, that still has Union Jack on their flag.

At the time they didnt know who he was, and where he came from.

World was a bit different then.

• Pitcairn
        BootHill kirjoitti:

Captain Cook sailed three times at southern seas & Pacific Ocean.

Two times he got an heros welcome, but he never returned from his 1779 journey.

He has helped alot to get to know the peoples, on the islands around the Pacific.

He completed the world, as we know today.

• Growded House
        åborginal kirjoitti:

Maori is almost like finnish.

If You look at the names, they sound like finnish.

Easy to spell too...

• Finlandssvensk1974
        American kirjoitti:

Everyone in the US knows the lord of the rings movies!! Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom became really famous after the first part and it was a huge deal all over the US. I really like the movies too!

Tolkien was a professor in Nordic languages and therefore studied Nordic languages and mythology a lot. The Elven language in his books are loosely based on Finnish…

• Thunder Bay

J.J.J.Tolkie even studied finnish, so that he could read Kalevala in suomi language.

So part of LORD OF THE RINGS must be like he imagined Kalavala time was.

I just wonder why he wanted the movies to be filmed in New Zealand, and not in Northern Europe ?

• FinnMaso

Koivuniemen Herra= Lord of the Birchy Cape ( a twig of a birchtree, used for birching naughty bare bottoms.) If you want to know more about Finnish soul you have to know about legendary Finnish masochism. Icehole swimming, "management by Perkele", sitting in an anthill, arctic madness, director Jouko Turkka (7 brothers, Horny Policemen, Gods Theatre, Presidents dementia..), Impaled Nazarene, Humppaorkesteri Eläkeläiset, raw booze, mämmi, Mieskuoro Huutajat, Tom of Finland, shamanism... :)

• sow68

with all these questions, but;

I am in school at the moment taking an English course and I do not get what this sentences means. Subject is Canadian economy.

That Canada is a large land of corporative entries (what is co-enties?)and diverse cultures is a challenge to its strong feeling of unity and one that is beeing met head on (what means to be met head on?).

• American

i`m not sure what co entries means. Head on means they are dealing with it right from the start and throughly all the way.
        Depends what the whole subject is about, co-entries might mean entries between Canda and the US, the land line. Not sure though! But hope this helped a bit atleast!

• Purp

"Head on" tässä yhteydessä tarkoittaa "päät vastakkain" (vaikkei se suora sananmukainen käännös olekaan).

• sow68
        American kirjoitti:

i`m not sure what co entries means. Head on means they are dealing with it right from the start and throughly all the way.
        Depends what the whole subject is about, co-entries might mean entries between Canda and the US, the land line. Not sure though! But hope this helped a bit atleast!

I got the idea! I'll be the bright girl on my class! Can you take the exam for me?

• sow68

What means in Finnish;"better by you better than me"??

This is from these pages also, I didn't get it?

• HurriCanthink

Which City do You live in ?

Do You speak swedish ?

• American

So yeah there's the answer. I do not speak any swedish, however I am taking a swedish course in the spring. I am leaving back to the US in June, so I am only here for one year!

• Teisko
        American kirjoitti:

So yeah there's the answer. I do not speak any swedish, however I am taking a swedish course in the spring. I am leaving back to the US in June, so I am only here for one year!

How do You find Tampere ?

Isnt it like Toronto in USA ?

• American
        Teisko kirjoitti:

How do You find Tampere ?

Isnt it like Toronto in USA ?

First of all Toronto is in Canada not in the US. He he...it's ok. And I've never been there so can't compare.
        I find Tampere a small city, since I come from quite a big one. I love the busses and the fact that you can get anywhere with them. I am missing more variety with shops though. I think there are very little different kinds of stores. I however perfer a small city life and will consider moving to a smaller town when I go back to the US. But still need a bigger city to be near by.

• Drifting

Is there any New Years Eve party, in Helsinki for english speakers ?

How about Tampere ?

• North Stars of Hockey

Do You follow ice hockey ?

• Helminen

Why are Canadians so much better in ice hockey than USA ?

Did You follow the under 20 year olds World Chanpionships, from USA.

Did You know that team USA won their 1st ever WC title, at Helsinki games last year ?

• Boca Raton
        Helminen kirjoitti:

Why are Canadians so much better in ice hockey than USA ?

Did You follow the under 20 year olds World Chanpionships, from USA.

Did You know that team USA won their 1st ever WC title, at Helsinki games last year ?

At U20 Helsinki games won USA their 1st title ever.

Is it true that ice hockey is more pop in norhern states, where meny Finns live & have moved ?

We just dont get any info from those states, here in Finland.

Everything is just Washington / Hollywood.

• American
        Boca Raton kirjoitti:

Is it true that ice hockey is more pop in norhern states, where meny Finns live & have moved ?

ice hockey is not really popular in anywhere in the US. Football is the most popular sport all over the US also baseball is popular.
        Yeah I think in the northern states, ice hockey might be more popular because of the snow and real winter, but i haven't really been following that sort of stuff, lol.

• Prime Hockey Time
        American kirjoitti:

ice hockey is not really popular in anywhere in the US. Football is the most popular sport all over the US also baseball is popular.
        Yeah I think in the northern states, ice hockey might be more popular because of the snow and real winter, but i haven't really been following that sort of stuff, lol.

Almost everybody that had a TV licence watched Finns play vs Canada, at World Cup Final.

Do You mean that this wasnt shown on USA TV ?

• My Holygram
        Boca Raton kirjoitti:

Finns are closer to Canada than USA.

The climate is similar, and so are the people. At great lakes where many Finns live, say that that they understand Finlands media better than Washington or Hollywood media.

USA tries to be something in everything, that others just do so much better.

• Dough

Is ice hockey as popular in USA, as in Canada ?

What do You thing about, the NHL strike ?

Is it such a big deal that they say here, that players earn too much ?

Why arent the best Americans coming to Europe to play, at World Championship games in may ?

• Loob
        American kirjoitti:

Ice hockey is the fastest growing sport, outside of USA.

Many people dont know the players yet, but in 20 years time theyll surely do.

Many new nations taking part of organized ice hockey training camps.

• Superior
        Dough kirjoitti:

Is ice hockey as popular in USA, as in Canada ?

What do You thing about, the NHL strike ?

Is it such a big deal that they say here, that players earn too much ?

Why arent the best Americans coming to Europe to play, at World Championship games in may ?

Whole season is cancelled.

Canada goes nuts, but USA has other sports.

Are ice hockey players are better known in Canada ?

• snow how
        American kirjoitti:

How often do You see snow in the USA ?

Did You notice that Salt Lake hosted the winter Olympics and Lake Placid hosted 1980.

This tells that You have snow in USA ?

• American
        snow how kirjoitti:

How often do You see snow in the USA ?

Did You notice that Salt Lake hosted the winter Olympics and Lake Placid hosted 1980.

This tells that You have snow in USA ?

We do have lots of snow in the US, but most of it is in the north. We never have snow in Texas, but I have seen it in the north, Colorado for example. I don't know what would be the most southern state that gets snow sometimes, Kansas does sometimes...rarely though.
        California's mountains also get snow and they have some great skiing places.

• Hockey Nights
        Loob kirjoitti:

Ice hockey is the fastest growing sport, outside of USA.

Many people dont know the players yet, but in 20 years time theyll surely do.

Many new nations taking part of organized ice hockey training camps.

This is based on what survey ?

There is snow, in very limited number of countries only !

USSR & USA & CANADA hardly get any new players on the international scene, so what nations do you mean ?

• Bad Dingo

What is Your favorite Finnish movie ?

• American

I have to be honest and tell you the truth, lol, i haven't really seen any finnish movies. Basically because they don't have subtitles in English. Have seen Going To Kansas city with that one finnish actor. Didn't like it that much, though!

• Bad Dingo
        American kirjoitti:

I have to be honest and tell you the truth, lol, i haven't really seen any finnish movies. Basically because they don't have subtitles in English. Have seen Going To Kansas city with that one finnish actor. Didn't like it that much, though!

Dont worry. When Your finnish gets better, youll be able to understad what they say.

In Finland many watch Hollywood movies just to learn english language.

I think movies tell what is going on... and give jobs to many actors.

• Holywood
        Bad Dingo kirjoitti:

Dont worry. When Your finnish gets better, youll be able to understad what they say.

In Finland many watch Hollywood movies just to learn english language.

I think movies tell what is going on... and give jobs to many actors.

Watch tonight Jussi Gaala on TV.

It is like Oscars, Your Hollywood style ?

• American
        Holywood kirjoitti:

Watch tonight Jussi Gaala on TV.

It is like Oscars, Your Hollywood style ?

I did watch Jussi Gaala on TV, it was pretty nice, just thousands of times smaller than our Academy Awards. But considering how many movies and tv-shows you make/have for a year I think it's as big as it can be.

• subtitles
        American kirjoitti:

I did watch Jussi Gaala on TV, it was pretty nice, just thousands of times smaller than our Academy Awards. But considering how many movies and tv-shows you make/have for a year I think it's as big as it can be.

Yes we are only 5 million.

Hollywood makes movies for the whole world, but in Finland movies are made only for finnish speakers.

Hollywood is good way to speak english, but subtitles give work for some too.

• Ich bin Berliner
        subtitles kirjoitti:

Yes we are only 5 million.

Hollywood makes movies for the whole world, but in Finland movies are made only for finnish speakers.

Hollywood is good way to speak english, but subtitles give work for some too.

The reason why in Germany many speak so poor english, is just this TV dumbing.

This gives work to many germans too, but on the street they hardly speak out.

• Coffey Still
        Ich bin Berliner kirjoitti:

The reason why in Germany many speak so poor english, is just this TV dumbing.

This gives work to many germans too, but on the street they hardly speak out.

Usually Americans dont even know where Germany is ? Germans speak much better English english, than Americans do.

• Palm Beach

Are movies from Finland so popular, that you write ?

I think that most Americans havent even heard of Finland, if you ask from them while walking on the streets.

Alot of kids drop out of high school, and start working at very early age.

• finnish gal

Nice to have ya here! I´m 25 yo woman, located near the city of Turku. It would be cool to have new friends! So, if you´re interested.. My e-mail addy is: [email protected]

• American

Thank you all so much for answering to this message! It's awesome to see how many people answered and how good your English is and how much you know about stuff =). I am nearly finished what I'm doing in Finland and will return back to Texas to finish this semester. My experience in Finland has been the best it could be. I have met wonderful and friendly people and I'm going to miss everything and yeah I will miss the snow aswell...Hope you all have a wonderful spring here and a great summer! I will pop up here to write something when I'm back at home! Thanks!

• all in the attitude

An old message but such a pleasant, positive person and enjoyed her time in Finland. Surely the country can't be all bad? I hope she's doing well, wherever she is now.

Ketjusta on poistettu 1 sääntöjenvastaista viestiä.

Luetuimmat keskustelut

1. Voitasko leikkiä jotain tunnisteleikkiä?

Tietäisi ketä täällä käy kaipaamassa.. kerro jotain mikä liittyy sinuun ja häneen eikä muut tiedä. Vastaan itsekin kohta
      Ikävä
    2. Millä voin

Hyvittää kaiken?
      Ikävä
    3. Tietysti jokainen ansaitsee

Hän varmasti ansaitsee vain parasta ja sopivinta tietenkin, suon sen onnen hänelle enemmän kuin mielelläni. Aika on nyt
      Ikävä
    4. Jotain puuttuu

Kun en sinua näe. Et ehkä arvaisi, mutta olen arka kuin alaston koivu lehtiä vailla, talven jäljiltä, kun ajattelen sinu
      Ikävä
    5. 50+ naiset kyl

Lemottaa sillille mut myös niitte kaka lemottaa pahlle ku kävin naiste veskis nuuhiin
      Ikävä
    6. Haluan sut

Haluatko sinä vielä mut?
      Ikävä
    7. hieman diabetes...

Kävin eilen kaverin kanssa keskusapteekissa kun on muutama kuukausi sitten tullut suomesta ja oli diabetes insuliinit lo
      Pattaya
    8. Välitän sinusta mies

Kaikki mitä yritin kertoa tänään ei mennyt ihan putkeen..Joka jäi jälkeenpäin ajateltuna suoraan sanottuna harmittaa aiv
      Työpaikkaromanssit
    9. Haluaisin aidosti jo luovuttaa ja unohtaa

Ei tästä mitään tule koskaan.
      Ikävä
    10. Hei A, osaatko

sanoa, miksi olet ihan yhtäkkiä ilmestynyt kaveriehdotuksiini Facebookissa? Mitähän kaikkea Facebook tietää mitä minä en
      Ikävä
    Aihe