SLICE OF LIFE (part 1)

Cosa Nostra

Wednesday, January 16, 2002

SLICE OF LIFE: Earn your family's respect with the right kind of dough.

RUS S. PISHNERY Contributing Writer

The day of my daughter Connie's wedding should be a joyous occasion. After all, a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man. I have a sentimental weakness for my children and I spoil them, as you can see. Most of the time they talk when they should be listening. So it was of great unease to me when my daughter and my youngest son Michael came to me with their concerns.

"Papa! The pizza from Signor Bonasera, it tastes terrible! We cannot eat this!"

I sampled a slice of the pizza pie from Signor Bonasera, a loyal caterer I had known from the old neighborhood and had trusted with the food for my only daughter's wedding. It was dreadful. I looked into my daughter's saddened eyes and I turned to Michael. "I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life - I don't apologize - to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those big shots. I don't apologize-that's my life-but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string. It makes no difference to me what a man does for a living, understand." I gazed down at the limp slice of pizza on the plate and I was distressed. "Look how they massacred my boy."

I turned to the Family's trusted consigliore, Tom Hagen. "Send in Luca Brazi and Clemenza. We must have a talk with Signor Bonasera."

My daughter Connie was stunned. "But Papa, how will you reason with Signor Bonasera?"

"I'm gonna make him a pizza he can't refuse." ...

Corleone Basic Pizza Dough 1 package rapid rise yeast (1/4-ounce) 1 cup tepid water 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 cups flour

Combine yeast and water, stirring thoroughly in a glass bowl and let stand for 15 minutes. Add salt, olive oil and flour and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Sprinkle a little more olive oil over mixture and cover with plastic warp. Let stand in a warm place for 1 hour. Divide dough into 6-inch balls and roll out to desired thickness. At this point, dough may used or wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in freezer for future use.

... as Luca Brazi, Clemenza and myself entered Signor Bonasera's pizza shop he had a look of trepidation on his face that I had not seen since Moe Greene stormed out of my office when I refused to bankroll him in a Taco Bell franchise in downtown Mexico City. I approached Signor Bonasera and treated him with dignity.

Vastaukset

Anonyymi (Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy)
    • Cosa Nostra

"Bonasera ... Bonasera ... What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? Your dough, it is an insult. Your sauce, it is something that reminds of Campbell's Tomato Soup with a little oregano added. But let's be frank here: You have tried your best, I'm sure, but this is my daughter's wedding day and I cannot tolerate bad pizza at a Corleone celebration." ...

Mama's Pizza Sauce 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1 yellow onion, finely chopped 4 garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped 28 ounces canned plum tomatoes 1 tablespoon dried basil 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese Salt Fresh ground black pepper

In a saucepan, warm the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Do not brown them. As soon as the onion and garlic are soft add the canned tomato with the juice and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the herbs, taste and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Use immediately may be frozen.

Do your Don a favor, and use these recipes that have been handed down in "the Family" for generations. Often at our table we top our pies with pepperoni, mortadella or even bacon. You can add onion, green pepper, black olives, and even a little pineapple. We use fresh mozzarella cheese and we sprinkle a little Romano cheese on top with parsley before we bake the pie for 15 to 20 minutes at 475 degrees.

... "Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do this service for me again. But uh, until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day."

As Luca Brazi drove the car back to the Family's compound I thought back to a simpler time in my native Sicily and the Pizza Rustica Courgette I was treated to as a boy. ...

Pizza Rustica Courgette 1 round of basic pizza dough 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped 1 zucchini, thinly sliced Salt Fresh ground black pepper 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a medium pan, sauté garlic and zucchini slices in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Top with zucchini slices and mozzarella. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and bake in oven for 15 minutes.

... In front of the door I could see the guests on the patio drinking wine and dancing to the music of Al Martino who had flown in from the coast to sing at my daughter's wedding. Sinatra was too expensive to use in this movie. I stood and breathed in the fresh air, giving thanks for my Family. It was then I noticed Luca Brazi whisper something into Clemenza's ear as they both looked in the back set of the car. Clemenza stood tall, and hiked up his pants as he adjusted his belt. I could faintly hear him reply to Brazi.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

© The News Herald

Ketjusta on poistettu 0 sääntöjenvastaista viestiä.

Luetuimmat keskustelut

1. Naiset miltä kiihottuminen teissä tuntuu

Kun miehellä tulee seisokki ja ja sellainen kihmelöinti sinne niin mitä naisessa köy? :)
      Sinkut
    2. Olet sä kyllä

ihme nainen. Mikä on tuo sun viehätysvoiman salaisuus?
      Ikävä
    3. Teuvo Hakkaraisesta tulee eurovaalien ääniharava

Persuissa harmitellaan omaa tyhmyyttä
      Maailman menoa
    4. Hiljaiset hyvästit?

Vai mikä on :( oonko sanonut jotain vai mitä?
      Ikävä
    5. Miksi kohtelit minua kuin tyhmää koiraa?

Rakastin sinua mutta kohtelit huonosti. Tuntuu ala-arvoiselta. Miksi kuvittelin että joku kohtelisi minua reilusti. Hais
      Särkynyt sydän
    6. Turha mun on yrittää saada yhteyttä

Oot mikä oot ja se siitä
      Suhteet
    7. Kyllä poisto toimii

Esitin illan suussa kysymyksen, joka koska palstalla riehuvaa häirikköä ja tiedustelin, eikö sitä saa julistettua pannaa
      80 plus
    8. "Joka miekkaan tarttuu, se siihen hukkuu"..

"Joka miekkaan tarttuu, se siihen hukkuu".. Näin puhui jo aikoinaan Jeesus, kun yksi hänen opetuslapsistaan löi miekalla
      Yhteiskunta
    9. Näkymätöntä porukkaa vai ei

Mon asuu yksin. Mitas mieltä ootte ?
      Ikävä
    10. Kristityt "pyhät"

Painukaa helvettiin, mä tulen sinne kans. Luetaan sitten raamattua niin Saatanallisesti. Ehkä Piru osaa opetta?!.
      Kristinusko
    Aihe