Is it easy to find a job in Finland?

Moving to Finland?

Does anyone know how easy it is to find a job in Finland (Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa), if you don't speak any Finnish? I'm an Irish barman, but willing to do other jobs as well.

Vastaukset

Anonyymi (Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy)
    • if you try

Its possible. Helsinki is so much more international than the rest of Finland so there are more jobs to english speakers. You just gotta try. It might be hard, but its possible.

• mustahammas
      • you!!!

Thank you very much for those links!

• mustahammas
        you!!! kirjoitti:

Thank you very much for those links!

You are welcome !

Here is one more link for you :
        http://www.uranus.fi/en/

• Nimetön

When I was working in McDonald's Helsinki we got some people there who didn't speak any Finnish.

since you're an irishman and a native english speaker, it should be a bit more easier for you than for some other foreigners

• Do You know Euro

Have You been anywhere else than just

Ireland to work ?

• Is my future in Hesburger???

What you mean do I know Euro? We have Euro in Ireland.

But to answer you other question, nope, never lived outside Ireland. The reason for moving to Finland is my Finnish girlfriend, who wants to move back. Like I said, willing to start with any kind of job before my language skills develope! McDonald's here I come.... Hopefully not though.

• Juna

Good luck with your job search! I'm finnish and live in England and want desperately to move back to Finland with my english boyfriend :) We are looking for jobs in Finland but it is pretty difficult to do it from over here, I think it's best if you are actually in Finland. Well, keep us updated will you! :)

• Juna

You could always study at the beginning - there are quite a few degrees/masters degrees offered in English in Helsinki area. And it does not cost anything in Finland. Then you could learn finnish whilst you study something else to improve your chances of getting a job.

• Irish

Thanks for your encouraging words! Yep, I'll definitely keep all my options open, and will consider both studying and working.

Good luck with you and your boyfriend!

• phrases
        Irish kirjoitti:

Thanks for your encouraging words! Yep, I'll definitely keep all my options open, and will consider both studying and working.

Good luck with you and your boyfriend!

you'll need in your job - surely a barman won't need that much language of any description? Aren't those places pretty noisy anyway? You'll simply point at things, nod, smile..

Make a list of phrases you will be needing, ask a Finnish speaker to read them on tape for you, and listen to it constantly, until you remember them by heart.

• sirupiru

you should go for. I think there may be a lots of opportunities in Lappland as well. So if you like to get some money while working you finnish skills, try to do it there. The place is more international than people in south can ever dream of :). Good luck to you!

• there

Hi,

I saw your add, eventhough its a bit old already, I hope you would still see my answer here.

I am also an Irish man, I moved to Helsinki on October with my finnish girl friend.
      I am looking for a job, but I have seen its not easy at all to get one.
      I am also looking for friends and especially Irish people in Helsinki, so for many reasons would be great if you would take contact to me;
      [email protected]

• home and aw

Hi, you could also consider become self employed and work from anywhere or everywhere you want, take a look at this www.northern-wave.com

• 17+11

Finding work in Helsinki without any Finnish language skills is about as easy as finding work in Dublin without any English. Of course one would probably pick up basic English quite fast in Dublin whereas in Helsinki it would be difficult to learn Finnish as most people would insist speaking English with you. And without language it's really difficult to advance in life.

• oppeliini1

Start learning Finnish. Other foreigners have mastered it, so can you.
      Perhaps in the beginning (in Finland) you can do menial jobs, ie cleanig and take Finnish courses, read Finnish, watch Finnish TV (I found it tremendously helpful to learn English by watching childrens' programs in Enlish).

If you have any other training besides bartending, it would be helpful. Of course you can always study for an other job, too!

Good luck! You could have always chosen a worst place to live than Finland :). Finland really is not all that bad!

• language student

One way to start learning Finnish is www.livemocha.com, an online language learning site. Some basic features are free, but the really useful service with feedback as you progress costs some 10 EUR a month or something like that.

• imeiN

moving companies

• Jobless Jon

Just to have the skill and experience does not count in finland, they want papers papers, ie. a course in barman job, even in cleaning you must have one.

So I would say your chances are nil, plus you do not speak the language. The Finns are a weird nation, even if they speak English they demand that you speak their language. And it takes years to master it, by friend.

• travmies

I am sure you don't need reminding that we are in Finland hence the language is Finnish as it would be in any other country such as the UK, where the expected language would be English.

It's a bitch when you are here without a job and unable to speak Finnish, but that is the learning curve of living in Finland, some of us cope with the situation and others don't.

As for me I learnt Finnish, re-educated myself and as well as working I run my own business, because its a matter of playing the game of living in Finland the Finnish way and not trying to integrate too much ones own culture ways of believing that it should be the same as where we came from.

The trick is pace yourself, learn the language, get some education and see how thing will change for you.

• akam1

i think in finland very hard to get a job

• finnnster

Maybe it's the best to became self employed or buy a part of existing bar ?
      Or go to work in multilingual corporation instead?
      Depends on what kind of degree you have...

Ketjusta on poistettu 0 sääntöjenvastaista viestiä.

Luetuimmat keskustelut

1. Naiset miltä kiihottuminen teissä tuntuu

Kun miehellä tulee seisokki ja ja sellainen kihmelöinti sinne niin mitä naisessa köy? :)
      Sinkut
    2. Haistoin ensin tuoksusi

Käännyin katsomaan oletko se todellakin sinä , otin askeleen taakse ja jähmetyin. Moikattiin naamat peruslukemilla. Tu
      Ikävä
    3. Olet sä kyllä

ihme nainen. Mikä on tuo sun viehätysvoiman salaisuus?
      Ikävä
    4. Teuvo Hakkaraisesta tulee eurovaalien ääniharava

Persuissa harmitellaan omaa tyhmyyttä
      Maailman menoa
    5. Hiljaiset hyvästit?

Vai mikä on :( oonko sanonut jotain vai mitä?
      Ikävä
    6. Miksi kohtelit minua kuin tyhmää koiraa?

Rakastin sinua mutta kohtelit huonosti. Tuntuu ala-arvoiselta. Miksi kuvittelin että joku kohtelisi minua reilusti. Hais
      Särkynyt sydän
    7. Turha mun on yrittää saada yhteyttä

Oot mikä oot ja se siitä
      Suhteet
    8. Kyllä poisto toimii

Esitin illan suussa kysymyksen, joka koska palstalla riehuvaa häirikköä ja tiedustelin, eikö sitä saa julistettua pannaa
      80 plus
    9. "Joka miekkaan tarttuu, se siihen hukkuu"..

"Joka miekkaan tarttuu, se siihen hukkuu".. Näin puhui jo aikoinaan Jeesus, kun yksi hänen opetuslapsistaan löi miekalla
      Yhteiskunta
    10. Näkymätöntä porukkaa vai ei

Mon asuu yksin. Mitas mieltä ootte ?
      Ikävä
    Aihe