does this

matter at all

http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=26068#poor

Some remarks needed to be added.

a) No: cheese-and-herbs stuffed salmon.
Nothing traditional. You can just put the whole fish to the owen and that’s it because it includes so much oil in it anyway. Preferably sea salmon (perhaps from Norway), I recommend not to use rainbow trout which production is an environmental burden. This version is more like a modified one…

b) Karelian Hot Pot: no, never add lamb or mutton! Only two kinds of meat. Very simple and lovely. You just add all the things, meta, onions, black peppers and some water, in a pot and the oven does all the rest. Grazy so called official advices. Sure you need not to cook the bones but instead buy cut meat from the shop. Who would have enough sharp knives to cut the meat at home… No all spice but whole black peppers! Oh my my.

c) Meatballs – that’s definite the most difficult dish because everyone’s makes the best ones… you should not use cream but pure milk.

d) ?! Mushroom-omelette roll: definitely nothing traditional. Good although.

e) May Day Cookies: yes but would bother to bake them at home… it is not a tradition to use boiled oil… what to do with the rest of the oil…

f) Runeberg's muffins: yes but who would bother to bake them at home… when you eat them only once a year… you can buy them then from every bakery and food shop – and they should be much longer…

g) why they have not included a fish soup dish from a one specific region; never heard; just the standard would be fine (p. 2)

h) Rosolli salad is served only during the Xmas time (possibly also in weddings, funerals etc.) – the dressing should be pink! Colour from the red beet (they call it as beetroot).

i) people do not make egg cheese usually at home… or it can not even be bought from anywhere

j) besides tiger cake they could add sour milk cake, the older, the better…

Vastaukset

Anonyymi (Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy)
    • you cook?

Aren't we being critical?

- A definite proof that you're not a very good cook is your statement "Sure you need not to cook the bones but instead buy cut meat from the shop. Who would have enough sharp knives to cut the meat at home…" Any half decent cook has knifes sharp enough to deal with meat. It is always better buy your meat (especially steaks cut by the butcher) at the counter and cube it at home.

- My granny adds elk meat to her Karelian Hot Pot and she lives in South-Karelia. She gets the meat from her children who go hunting every autumn. I think in the olden days people also used the meat that was easily available to them. People's tastes are different and either black pepper and all spice can be used. I think younger generation goes for the black pepper. You forgot to mention bay leaves.

- In meatballs you can use cream, milk, natural yogurt, tomato pyree..Many use onion soup ingredients to give more flavour (although this I have not been able to understand).

- "May Day Cookies: yes but would bother to bake them at home" The ones who actully like cooking and maybe have children at home. My sister actually makes them at home together with the dougnuts and sima.

- " Runeberg's muffins: yes but who would bother to bake them at home… when you eat them only once a year" What an argument! Who would then bother making christmas dishes or anything else you do only once a year. Also, if you like them, you can make them as many times a year as you wish.

- Punajuuri is actually called as beetroot in English. And the recipe advices to use the liquid of the boiled beetroots for colour.

- "people do not make egg cheese usually at home… or it can not even be bought from anywhere" This is a recipe from the days when people bothered cooking. I've only tasted in once at my granny's. Traditional Finnish cuisine in every day consumption is dying. Try looking for a restaurant that serves mainly Finnish food..

I haven't a clue what you have tried to achieve with your writing. I am not saying that I am a good cook, but I don't follow recipes to the dot and can improvise in the kitchen. I also have sharp knives and a knife sharpener; and my life in the kitchen is a lot easier!

• better than write English...

Critisism is always welcome... it is healty...

that www seems to make critical mistakes... and its not a question of taste, anymore.

• you noticed...

Yes, I do have sharp knives but most decent husbands don't, have.

I understand your worry about buying a cubed meat from Kauppahalli, or even ask them to cube it there but... yes, that is my mistake definitely, I have chosen those Atria/Saarioinen or whatever boxes full of meat.

In fact, that is not a proper way to cook the Karelian Hot Pot because there simply isn't enough meat. You need to buy at least a dbl dose. Even if you'd live alone...

why to bother to cook for 1 person when you can freeze the rest of it unless you'd choose to eat the same dish for one week. I prefer to eat the same dish for one week than to cook only for one person.

• again.

But: only a few people have access to elk meat to be added to the Karelian hot pot. As you mantioned, it's a local tradition and why to mix it with the most common way how to cook it.

If elk would belong to it, Atria/Saarioinen should add it, too... is it illegal to sell elk...

• spices...

Does all spice include a lot of salt? Please prefer pure spices to those which include salt. Surely you do not want to pay for the salt.

"All spice can be used. I think younger generation goes for the black pepper."

• right

Yes, I luv that! But it's a different main course. You can still call them as meat balls but they are not the traditional ones.

It's the same as if you cook the meat balls in the owen. They are not meat balls then anymore. But how easy it is!

You just mix all the incredients, the meat, eggs, milk and onion soup and you do not need any spices.

That mixture is most suitable to the owen. That's the difference.

You are right. If we are interested in talking about Finnish or any other etnic food, there should an another forum for that. Food is just an element in our lives but not the weakest one because - sorry to phrase this - we all need food to survive.

Besides surviving we might like to get some enjoyment from it, every now and then. Justified?

• hot oil in most dangerous

I would not pay with the burning oil at home - that's how accidents happen... you might burn yourself and the whole home...

• huhtikuuta on vapun aatto

"May Day Cookies: The ones who actully like cooking and maybe have children at home."

You should not play with the food... even on the MayDay's Eve...

I understand you, no problem. It can be fun. Some cultures cook many items in oil. And those who has cooking as their hobby they might already own a pot which they have destroyed with oil.

Do you really think that someone succeeds in cooking MayDay Cookies at home? What a disappointment then if not. That does not give a good picture of Finland. Such a strange menu...

• succeeded

Mrs Runeberg was talented enough to keep her husband at home but...

if you eat something too often, it looses its interest, doesn't it...

• you should not
        succeeded kirjoitti:

Mrs Runeberg was talented enough to keep her husband at home but...

if you eat something too often, it looses its interest, doesn't it...

Runeberg pastries should be eaten only one a year.

I know that in Porvoo they are sould all-yr-Around but the rest of Finland is not Porvoo.

Best wishes to tv reporter Mika Tommola who visited Porvoo... and asked what Finnish citizens would choose: Runeberg pastries or Strove Tuesday buns with whipped cream and strawberry jam/marchpane.

• one specific FAQ

Strove Tuesday buns:

strawberry jam
        or
        marchpane?

And there's only one correct answer.

• you got it

How much simpler it would be if Latin names of plants and animals would be adopted even when cooking... then everyone would understand everyone...

"Punajuuri is actually called as beetroot in English."

"And the recipe advices to use the liquid of the boiled beetroots for colour."
        That was slightly unclear.

We could remind that small children should not eat too much Punajuuri. We could also remind new parents that if their kid is given the permission to eat Punajuuri, like Punajuuri meat balls if you are a vegetarian, his/her urine might turn into red but that you should not be afraid. He just might survive...

• Finnish food?!

"Try looking for a restaurant that serves mainly Finnish food."

Located in the southern cost of Spain perhaps! Finns require Finnish meat balls when they visit Spain...

• just joking...
        Finnish food?! kirjoitti:

"Try looking for a restaurant that serves mainly Finnish food."

Located in the southern cost of Spain perhaps! Finns require Finnish meat balls when they visit Spain...

If you move to Spain I totally understand if someone misses Finnish kitchen and there's a severe need to serve pure Finnish dishes.

It does not require very long abroad before you beging to miss rye bread for example. Teräsbetoni is a wise guy when they took dried rye breadk with them. Hopefully some fresh one, too. Yle should have hired a cook for them. Sorry, I mean a baker!

• of the www

Not to describe died traditions but mainly the existing ones. Which you might encounter in Finland when vitising Finnish hosts.

www could be divided into several columns: regional, seasonal, historial, modern Finnish cuisine - do you agree that now it just gives a very hazard picture of the Finnish cuisine?

"egg cheese"
        ""a recipe from the days when people bothered cooking""

That's not the point. People do bother but traditions have changed. Egg cheese has never belonged to the tradition in the whole Finland.

• pepper...
        spices... kirjoitti:

Does all spice include a lot of salt? Please prefer pure spices to those which include salt. Surely you do not want to pay for the salt.

"All spice can be used. I think younger generation goes for the black pepper."

Pardon my English, I meant allspice which is a pepper also know as Jamaican pepper (Maustepippuri).

• pepper...
        you noticed... kirjoitti:

Yes, I do have sharp knives but most decent husbands don't, have.

I understand your worry about buying a cubed meat from Kauppahalli, or even ask them to cube it there but... yes, that is my mistake definitely, I have chosen those Atria/Saarioinen or whatever boxes full of meat.

In fact, that is not a proper way to cook the Karelian Hot Pot because there simply isn't enough meat. You need to buy at least a dbl dose. Even if you'd live alone...

why to bother to cook for 1 person when you can freeze the rest of it unless you'd choose to eat the same dish for one week. I prefer to eat the same dish for one week than to cook only for one person.

Well, I live in a country where prepacked meat is not very common. I go to the butcher and cut my meat by myself. I am so used to going to the nearby butcher that I cannot imagine buying prepacked meat again. I am well aware that in Finland buying prepacked meat is what is most commonly done; maybe that's why people are not so used to dealing with meat anymore.

I don't know your appetite but 900 grams of meat is a lot of meat and as the hotpot is not really supposed to be a full meal on its own but accompanied by other things such as casseroles, potatoes, carrots, karjalanpiirakka...That portion would be enough for me and my boyfriend for two to three days.

Any person used to cooking can easily alter the recipe. I cannot see what's your problem with the meat quantities; looks ok to me. If you wish to cook more; recalculate the measurements.

• Pepper....
        you got it kirjoitti:

How much simpler it would be if Latin names of plants and animals would be adopted even when cooking... then everyone would understand everyone...

"Punajuuri is actually called as beetroot in English."

"And the recipe advices to use the liquid of the boiled beetroots for colour."
        That was slightly unclear.

We could remind that small children should not eat too much Punajuuri. We could also remind new parents that if their kid is given the permission to eat Punajuuri, like Punajuuri meat balls if you are a vegetarian, his/her urine might turn into red but that you should not be afraid. He just might survive...

What happens when you mix something white with something red? I think even my 2-year old niece knows the answer for that question.

We could do all you suggested; but not in a recipe.
        There must be a better venue for advices and warnings than a cookery site. Also, beetroot is well known and used in many other countries too. I think them foreigners might know a thing or two about the red root vegetable without us telling them:D

• it should be simple
        pepper... kirjoitti:

Well, I live in a country where prepacked meat is not very common. I go to the butcher and cut my meat by myself. I am so used to going to the nearby butcher that I cannot imagine buying prepacked meat again. I am well aware that in Finland buying prepacked meat is what is most commonly done; maybe that's why people are not so used to dealing with meat anymore.

I don't know your appetite but 900 grams of meat is a lot of meat and as the hotpot is not really supposed to be a full meal on its own but accompanied by other things such as casseroles, potatoes, carrots, karjalanpiirakka...That portion would be enough for me and my boyfriend for two to three days.

Any person used to cooking can easily alter the recipe. I cannot see what's your problem with the meat quantities; looks ok to me. If you wish to cook more; recalculate the measurements.

I do not agree with the tradition how to enjoy from the Karelian Hot Pot (karjalanpaisti). It should be a simple meal. I admit that in Karelia you might accompany it with Karelian pastries (karjalanpiirakka) etc. but not elsewhere. Ever. Not earlier and not nowadays. And sorry, I know what Iäm talking about.

They just do not belong together! But sure - you can build your meal as you wish. Tradition does not restrict.

But if the purpose of the www is to tell about traditions, it's almost totally wrongly built.

Yes for potatoes to accompany.
        No for carrots.

Just the meat dish and potatoes.

• a butcher in every corner
        pepper... kirjoitti:

as well as bakeries, how nice it would be also for them to work for their own good

• right again...
        pepper... kirjoitti:

Pardon my English, I meant allspice which is a pepper also know as Jamaican pepper (Maustepippuri).

are you sure, does allspice really belong to Karelian Hot Pot instead of black pepper?

sure this is not important but in a way it is because it sounds so funny when Finns beging to argue when describing to foreigners how to cook their national dishes, traditionally

I really can not believe that you really are suggesting to use allspice because it really haven't belonged to the Finnish cuisine. Do you think that Finns could have grown it... ?! When they have begun to sell it in Finland?!

See, how much easier it would have been if it had been spoken about Pimenta dioica.

But - definitely, no, I do not suggest esperanto. That's the most silliest idea I've ever heard.

• Pepper....
        right again... kirjoitti:

are you sure, does allspice really belong to Karelian Hot Pot instead of black pepper?

sure this is not important but in a way it is because it sounds so funny when Finns beging to argue when describing to foreigners how to cook their national dishes, traditionally

I really can not believe that you really are suggesting to use allspice because it really haven't belonged to the Finnish cuisine. Do you think that Finns could have grown it... ?! When they have begun to sell it in Finland?!

See, how much easier it would have been if it had been spoken about Pimenta dioica.

But - definitely, no, I do not suggest esperanto. That's the most silliest idea I've ever heard.

Ask your mother or granny how allspice has been used in Finnish cuisine for decades. I'd like to consult Martat (The Martha organization is a Finnish home economics organization, which was founded in 1899 to promote the quality and standard of life in the home. It also carries out cultural and civic education) and their Karjalanpaisti recipe:

http://www.martat.fi/neuvonta/ruoka_ja_ravitsemus/martan_keittokirja/?x24855=288

Can you argue with these ladies?

Everybody has their own way of cooking and of course there are variations to this dish like any other dish if that matters..Or do you think that for instance Spanish paella, Belgian stoofvlees or English Shepherd's pie are always made with the same recipe?

It's a shame a Finn needs to make such a big issue out of a very simple, traditional dish.

• Martta organization
        Pepper.... kirjoitti:

Ask your mother or granny how allspice has been used in Finnish cuisine for decades. I'd like to consult Martat (The Martha organization is a Finnish home economics organization, which was founded in 1899 to promote the quality and standard of life in the home. It also carries out cultural and civic education) and their Karjalanpaisti recipe:

http://www.martat.fi/neuvonta/ruoka_ja_ravitsemus/martan_keittokirja/?x24855=288

Can you argue with these ladies?

Everybody has their own way of cooking and of course there are variations to this dish like any other dish if that matters..Or do you think that for instance Spanish paella, Belgian stoofvlees or English Shepherd's pie are always made with the same recipe?

It's a shame a Finn needs to make such a big issue out of a very simple, traditional dish.

Yes, I'm not afraid to challenge Martta organization if they are responsible of producing that text for foreigners.

They have the freedom to produce new dishes but they should at least mention which belong to nationwide tradition and which are their own creations.

"The Martha Organisation is a nationwide independent advisory body in home economics. The organisation has 60.000 members and 1.700 member unions in both rural areas and towns."

• Pepper...
        Martta organization kirjoitti:

Yes, I'm not afraid to challenge Martta organization if they are responsible of producing that text for foreigners.

They have the freedom to produce new dishes but they should at least mention which belong to nationwide tradition and which are their own creations.

"The Martha Organisation is a nationwide independent advisory body in home economics. The organisation has 60.000 members and 1.700 member unions in both rural areas and towns."

So where do you get this ever so correct and traditional recipe for Karjalanpaisti? What is your 100% correct source?

• do still require
        Pepper... kirjoitti:

So where do you get this ever so correct and traditional recipe for Karjalanpaisti? What is your 100% correct source?

Do still feel that the most correct way to cook it is to add elk?

• pepper..
        do still require kirjoitti:

Do still feel that the most correct way to cook it is to add elk?

Did I ever say that the most correct way to cook Karjalanpaisti is to add elk? I only mentioned what my granny does and that it can be a local South Karelian variation of the dish in households where tasty elk meat is easily available.

I am still waiting to hear your 100% correct version of the karjalanpaisti recipe..

• believe...
        pepper.. kirjoitti:

Did I ever say that the most correct way to cook Karjalanpaisti is to add elk? I only mentioned what my granny does and that it can be a local South Karelian variation of the dish in households where tasty elk meat is easily available.

I am still waiting to hear your 100% correct version of the karjalanpaisti recipe..

Thanks for clarifying the local modification, modified by your grandmother living in Karelia.

I think that you should use only the meat of two animals, the pig and the cow.

But certainly, me too, I allow local variations.

• understand

Do you understand now more than yesterday?

• meatballs

in the oven insead of Owen, Owen might get angry if you stuff him with raw meatballs.

• I'm definitely laughing...
        meatballs kirjoitti:

in the oven insead of Owen, Owen might get angry if you stuff him with raw meatballs.

I was so afraid that you were going to suggest me to prepare meat balls in A boiling water...

Enjoy!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3z-j8o39I

• healthy
        I'm definitely laughing... kirjoitti:

I was so afraid that you were going to suggest me to prepare meat balls in A boiling water...

Enjoy!

they would be too blond...

• to bath
        I'm definitely laughing... kirjoitti:

Enjoy!

Don't you like to bath in a boiling hot water... I do.

Maybe we can not then share...

• a quick conclusion
        meatballs kirjoitti:

have you asked from Owen

he might even like it

• by-stander
        a quick conclusion kirjoitti:

have you asked from Owen

he might even like it

This is probably the strangest conversation I have ever witnessed on one of these suomi24 forums. Two? people writing incoherent crappy english, fighting over traditional finnish cuisine. I think the writers themselves don't even know what's the point of all this. But it kind of made me laugh. Ha. Ha.

Ketjusta on poistettu 0 sääntöjenvastaista viestiä.

Takaisin ylös

Luetuimmat keskustelut

1. Naiset miltä kiihottuminen teissä tuntuu

Kun miehellä tulee seisokki ja ja sellainen kihmelöinti sinne niin mitä naisessa köy? :)
      Sinkut
    2. Haistoin ensin tuoksusi

Käännyin katsomaan oletko se todellakin sinä , otin askeleen taakse ja jähmetyin. Moikattiin naamat peruslukemilla. Tu
      Ikävä
    3. Olet sä kyllä

ihme nainen. Mikä on tuo sun viehätysvoiman salaisuus?
      Ikävä
    4. Hiljaiset hyvästit?

Vai mikä on :( oonko sanonut jotain vai mitä?
      Ikävä
    5. Teuvo Hakkaraisesta tulee eurovaalien ääniharava

Persuissa harmitellaan omaa tyhmyyttä
      Maailman menoa
    6. Miksi kohtelit minua kuin tyhmää koiraa?

Rakastin sinua mutta kohtelit huonosti. Tuntuu ala-arvoiselta. Miksi kuvittelin että joku kohtelisi minua reilusti. Hais
      Särkynyt sydän
    7. Turha mun on yrittää saada yhteyttä

Oot mikä oot ja se siitä
      Suhteet
    8. Näkymätöntä porukkaa vai ei

Mon asuu yksin. Mitas mieltä ootte ?
      Ikävä
    9. 22
    10. Martinasta kiva haastattelu Iltalehdessä

Hyvän mielen haastattelu ja Martina kauniina ja raikkaan keväisenä kuvissa.
      Kotimaiset julkkisjuorut
    Aihe